Chapter 65: Threats and Favors

Adan

After saying goodbye to Brenna, I couldn't get her out of my mind. Her lying across my desk, eyes half-mast as I made love to her, then her with my cum on her face and breasts.... I'll never look at my desk the same way again. She is one gorgeous woman, but what I liked most about her was her heart and her willingness to do what was right for the Pack.

Throughout the day, I was eager to get back to Brenna. After playing around with her in my office today, I wanted more. I had no idea how I would last another week or so before we married. My wolf growled in agreement, wanting to barge into her suite and claim her now.

"Soon, boy," I said aloud, wanting to claim her just as much.

At the end of the day, I locked up my office, in a hurry to leave. But when I stepped out into the hallway, Hailey was leaning against the wall, waiting for me.

"Hailey, what are you doing here?" I shook my head, hating myself for what I did to her. But then again, we were both just having fun, or so I thought. I had made it clear to her from the start that this was just a fling.

She pushed off the wall. "So, you're really going to marry her?" she asked, tears filling her eyes.

I nodded. "I asked her, and she accepted. We're getting married before the Blood Moon."

She scoffed as she swiped a hand over her cheeks. "So, you're marrying her because the Council told you to, huh?"

I took a step closer, my eyes boring into hers, willing her to believe what I was about to tell her. It must have scared her because she took a step back. "No. I'm marrying Brenna because I love her, and she's my Mate."

"But I could have been your Mate!" she whined, sliding her hands up my chest. "It should have been me!"

I grabbed her hands and removed them firmly from my chest. "Hailey," I said, my voice low, trying to be as sympathetic as I could, "you aren't my Mate." I dropped her hands and walked away.

"And if something were to happen to her before then?"

I turned back, and a sickening sweet smile spread across her face.

"Would you choose me then?"

I stormed back to her as rage filled every fiber of my being. If I had touched her then, I would have killed her. "Hailey, I'm only going to say this once. If anything happens to Brenna, then I will come looking for you... to kill you. You're lucky I'm not taking that as a threat on the life of the future Queen. So, watch your step and be careful of what you say." I took a step back. "If you know what's good for you, you'll stay away from us both." I turned on my heel and walked away before I actually did kill her.

Needing to burn off some steam, I took the stairs two at a time, racing all the way up. By the time I reached the top floor, I had decided to transfer Hailey to another Pack. Maybe Nikoa would take her. I didn't want to kill her, but if she made any more threats or came after Brenna, I would. No, she needed to go before I was too tempted.

Hailey and I had a great time together, and I hate that it came down to this. But I had told her from the start that I was just killing time with her, having fun as I waited for my Mate. Hailey was great in bed and sexy, but she wasn't my Mate. And I refused to claim anyone who wasn't.

A few minutes later, I stormed into my suite, headed straight to the bar, and poured myself a bourbon straight up. I downed it and then poured another. Because of our healing factor, wolves couldn't get drunk, but that didn't mean we didn't try to push the limit at times. But the worst that could happen was that we felt relaxed or maybe a little buzzed, but never drunk.

I downed the second drink, and soon, the caramel liquid started working its magic. I poured another glass, pulled out my cell phone, and sat on the sofa. When the urge to kill Hailey had subsided, I stretched my arm across the back of the sofa, holding my drink as I looked up Nikoa's number. I hit SEND, and it started ringing a moment later.

"Nikoa here," he answered on the first ring.

"Nikoa, it's me, Adan."

"Hey, Adan! What's up, man? Long time no see!" He laughed at his own joke.

"I have a question to ask and want a straight-up answer." I sat up. "No bullshit."

There was a pause at the other end. "Okay... yeah, sure. What's wrong?" Concern filled his voice.

"Before I found my Mate, I was having a good time with another wolf." I bit my lower lip and released it. "But now—"

"She won't take no for an answer," he finished.

"Precisely." I let out a deep breath. "I hate to ask this, but would you consider taking her into your Pack? Do you have room?"

"Yeah, no problem. We have a few free suites, or she could always room with someone. We'll make it work." It sounded like he switched ears. "Is she giving you a hard time?"

I shook my head in disbelief. "I hate that it's going to end this way, but she won't leave me alone. Then tonight, she asked if I would take her back... if something were to happen to Brenna."

"She did not!" he nearly yelled into the phone.

"I'm afraid so." I bit my upper lip. "I nearly killed her."

"Seriously?"

"I didn't touch her, thank God, but she's got to go. If she doesn't, I could very easily kill her, which is something I don't want to do."

"No problem, man," he replied. "What's her name?"

I gave him her information and then added, "The reason I called you first was that I knew you would be kind to her and treat her fairly."

"Yes, of course." Suddenly, I could hear a smile in his voice. "I'll send her an invitation, so it'll keep you out of it."

"Thanks, man." I was ready to hand up but stopped. "Man, be kind to her. Even though I was straight up with her from the start, she's been through a lot."

"I will. Don't worry." He chuckled. "Hey, I'm looking for a Mate, too. So, who knows? Maybe we'll hit it off."

"Yeah, but don't use her." I let out a deep breath. "Let her heart have time to heal."

"I will."

Then the conversation turned to lighter topics as we talked about stupid stuff. "Thanks, man. I owe you one."

He laughed. "You owe me many. But then again, I probably owe you more, so let's just call it even."

As long as I lived, I knew I'd never have another friend like Nikoa.

***

A/N: So, what do you think of this story so far? Leave an emoji and let me know. :-)