Chapter 63: Fletcher

Brenna

Magenta and I spent the next few hours planning the wedding. Since we didn't have much time, I wanted something small.

"Why don't you speak with Adan about our plans, and make sure he's in agreement?" Magenta placed her hand on my back as she led me to the door. "I have a feeling he's not going to want to wait until after the attack to marry you."

"You know him well." I laughed. "But we can wait until after. It'll be fine."

"But promise me you'll speak with him about it first."

"I will." I pulled her in for a quick hug. "Would you like me to stay and help you with the dishes?"

She burst out laughing. "Are you kidding? You're the Pack Luna and soon to be the Queen. I think I can take care of the dishes myself."

I laughed. "So, when would you like me to start coming for training?"

"Well, you have Warrior Training in the mornings," Magenta mused. "So, why don't you come right after? Then we'll train until lunch every day."

I nodded. "Are you sure it won't be too much of an inconvenience?"

She scrunched up her nose, looking at me as if I were the last crazy woman on Earth. "No, not at all. I'm happy to do it. Besides, you'll need to practice before we attack. That will have to be the next spell you learn. Also, make sure to practice using your magic every day. As I said before, magic needs to be exercised and practiced."

"I will."

"Good!" A broad smile spread across her face. "I'll give you the spell for the tea. Also, I want you to practice the spell to light candles and to illuminate a room." She shrugged. "You never know when you might need it."

I nodded. "Sounds good. Thank you for everything."

Magenta crossed the room to her desk and quickly scribbled the spells down on a slip of paper, folded it, and brought it back to me. "Practice these spells as much as you can. I don't want there to be any mistakes when you teleport. Brenna, you'll be teleporting with others, too, so we'll need to practice here in the castle first."

"Sounds good." I pulled her in for a quick hug. "I'll talk to you soon." I started to leave but turned back. "Thank you, Magenta... for everything."

"It's my pleasure."

After saying our goodbyes, I headed into the elevator, in a hurry to tell Adan. As soon as the doors opened, I rushed down the hallway and knocked on his door.

"Come in!" he yelled from the other side.

When I opened the door, he was still sitting at the table, talking to Mason. They had drawn diagrams on a notepad. Clearly, they had been strategizing.

"Brenna!" Adan rose to his feet and kissed my cheek. "Perfect timing! Come sit down. I'll be ready for dinner soon." He held the chair for me, and I sat. "Did you speak with Magenta?"

I nodded. "She's all for it. She said that the only problem we'll have is not knowing where we'll materialize."

He let out a deep breath. "That's what I thought, but it's worth the risk."

"Is it?" Mason arched an eyebrow. "Adan, if we materialize in the middle of their Pack, then we'll be doomed."

"But Magenta and I have a plan for that." A smile spread across my face. "What if we lure him away from his Compound?"

Adan smiled. "And how do you propose we do that?"

"Well, it appears that he and Fletcher are friends." I shrugged. "Do you think we could get Fletcher to invite him to his resort?"

"Then Fletcher's men will be with us when we materialize." Adan nodded as he folded his hands, propping his elbows on the edge of the table.

Mason sighed, shaking his head. "Adan, you know as well as I do that Fletcher isn't going to set up Darius like that." He nodded toward me as he continued talking to Adan. "No offense, but he just made millions off their deal when you purchased Brenna."

A crease formed between Adan's eyes. "We've been friends for a long time. He may have shady dealings with Darius and who knows who else, but he would never betray me like that."

I gently squeezed his hand. "But are you willing to stake all of our lives on it?" I shook my head, releasing his hand. "No, now that I think about it, it'll be better to observe him for a few days and learn his routine. Then we can choose a time when he's usually away from his Compound."

"She's right, Adan," Mason agreed. "You and Fletcher have known each other for years, but don't forget. He's still the Don of a rival Family. Do you trust him enough not to double-cross you?"

"Yes." Adan bit his lower lip, thinking. "But maybe it would be better not to involve him. I don't want this to end up coming between our friendship. It's been on shaky ground lately as it is." He glanced over at Mason. "The last time I saw him, I told him he needed to stop the Auction."

Mason's head snapped up. "And what did he say?"

"Well, he was pretty adamant not to stop it...." Adan shook his head. "Even after I warned him that it could very well be his wife or daughter on the auction block."

Mason's eyes widened. "You threatened his wife and daughter?"

"No, but I just merely brought it to his attention that the women he was selling could have been them." Adan sighed. "He didn't take it well."

"But he could sell me and other women like me." I shook my head, sitting back in my chair. "On second thought, I know Fletcher is one of your friends, but he can't be trusted. I have a feeling that he knows more about our world than he's letting on."

Adan's head snapped up. "What are you saying?"

I let out a deep breath. "Well, when Darius brought me to him, I was stark naked, and Fletcher didn't react at all." I shrugged. "Why else would I have been naked, and still be deemed pure? Unless it was because I was a shifter." Anger welled up inside me as I thought about it. "And it appeared that they knew each other well. It hadn't been just a normal drop-off."

"Adan, I think she's right." Mason frowned. "I'll have a few of our men scope out the Snow Warrior Pack Compound and see if they can spot Darius coming and going. Then we'll know more about what we're dealing with. But if I were you, I would consider teleporting right into their Compound only as a last resort."

***

A/N: Yikes! So, what do you think about Fletcher? Leave a comment and let me know. :-)