Chapter 1

Hannah stared at the clock for what felt like the fiftieth time. With each click of the slow clock, the time for her break came closer. Working in an office with boring walls and cubicles was so tedious sometimes that she just wanted scream. She tapped her pencil against the desk rapidly in an irritated manner.

"That isn't going to speed up the clock," Christina stated as she stared at the computer screen.

"I think it helps," Hannah shrugged. Continuing her pencil tapping, she went back to staring at the clock. Two minutes had ticked away with five more to go.

"Oh come on Hannah! It's just a library!"

"No it isn't Christina," she said without peeling her eyes away from the very object that kept her from the one place she wanted to be, "It holds so much magic. Plus, a new book came out today, but they only have one copy! My hold will end soon, so I am trying to get there first to make sure I get it."

"Wow," Christina whispered as she turned her chair back around to the computer, "I was going to ask if you wanted to go and get drinks with me."

Hannah didn't respond. She was too busy putting her coat on over her work clothes. Grabbing the scarf that hung over her chair, she wrapped it around her neck to ensure that the cold Pennsylvania wind wouldn't touch her neck.

"I'll be back in thirty minutes!" Hannah said as she rushed out the door in the direction of her sanctuary: the library. Hurrying down the stairs, she rushed out of the large doors into the cold wind. Pulling her coat and scarf closer to her body, Hannah hurried over to the crosswalk. She pressed the button over and over.

"You know that isn't going to help sweetheart," a small elderly voice stated

Hannah turned to look at the woman, "I know, I just really want to get to the library."

The woman chuckled, "Okay. Good luck in your walk then dearie."

The sign finally turned-after what seemed like an eternity-signaled it was clear to cross. Quickly, she crossed the street and sped walked to the building. Opening the large doors, Hannah wasted no time in going up to the front desk.

"Excuse me? I have a book on hold for Hannah McCracken."

The man smiled and typed away on the computer. He frowned and then clicked on something. Readjusting his glasses, he looked up at Hannah, "I'm sorry Miss McCracken, there is no reservation or hold for you."

"Can you please just look again?" she asked. She knew she had made the reservation for the book.

"I'm sorry. It's not here."

Hannah closed her eyes and took a deep breath, "Is the book Queen of Lies here, then?"

Once again, the man tapped the keys on the keyboard searching for what Hannah wanted, "I'm sorry. It was checked out thirty minutes ago."

Hannah groaned. This was not her day. She had woken up late and missed getting her cup of coffee before entering the building that held all things boring. She searched her purse touching something papery. Slowly, she pulled it out. Instead of staring at a receipt, it was the form for the hold on the book. Hannah groaned mentally hitting herself. She had forgotten to turn it in. Taking the paper, she shoved it back into her purse and gave the clerk a small smile.

"I am sorry for taking up your time sir," she smiled weakly.

The man at the desk gave her a small, apologetic smile. Hannah slowly walked away from the desk holding her purse close to her body. She could have sworn that she had turned it in. Hannah walked up and down the rows of books taking in the many different colors and titles. She paused towards the back of one of the furthest rows. The window allowed some light to enter, giving the books on the shelves a soft, endearing glow. A large brown-bound book with gold edging caught Hannah's eye. Hesitantly, she walked over to the book. There was no title on it, only the gold embellishments. Pulling the book out pulled some of the dust from the shelf with it.