Ceilings

February

Scarlet had to tell him. She'd already been over in LA four times to interview and attend workshops which Noel didn't know about. It was over weekends he'd been working. She'd gotten the job. They'd offered the position. She was supposed to start in three weeks. Move to LA away from everything She'd ever known. But she desperately didn't want to burst the beautiful bubble she and Noel had created together. Noel's album was finished and he was ready to promote it. He'd let her listen. It was vulnerable. Beautiful. Healing. It reflected something they'd gone through together whether he was aware of that or not.

"Right...I've had enough of this. What's going on with you?" Asked Noel seriously as he turned to her on the couch.

Scarlet blushed and tried to stay cool.

"What do you mean?" She asked.

Noel sighed.

"You're being weird. You're...hiding something from me. Just tell me."

Scarlet sighed. She should have known better than to keep something from him.

"Is it someone else?" He asked softly.

Scarlet frowned and looked outraged.

"What?! Of course it's fucking not!"

Noel felt his chest flush with pride at her outrage.

"Ay, alright alright. I'm sorry. It's just like you seem distracted. Just tell me...it's not...I mean you're OK. You're healthy?" He asked seriously.

Scarlet felt a lump of emotion form in her throat from his worried expression. She had to tell him. He was thinking of things that really were horrific not just breaking up because of her job.

"I got approached for a new job. Its doing what I was doing before. Graphic art."

Noel sighed with relief and grinned.

"That's amazing! What were you doing keeping that secret for?" He asked squeezing her hand.

Scarlet smiled sadly.

"It's based in LA. And they want me to move out there. Soon."

Noel hesitated processing all of this.

He smiled at her and brushed her cheek gently.

"Well get on that plane you stupid bastard. What you waiting for? You've waited long enough to do something you really love. I'm so happy for you."

Scarlet felt her eyes filling with tears.

"But what about us? I didn't say anything because I don't want this to end."

She said holding his face in her hands tenderly.

Noel smiled.

"Who says it has to end? I'm on the road loads this year with this album. We'll figure it out. Like we have been doing this whole time. We'll make it work and if it doesn't then...we'll deal with that if we need to."

Scarlet rolled her eyes.

"Right. As if you're going to do the whole long distance thing. It'll be too hard."

Noel frowned.

"Why wouldn't I? It'll be tough but...you're worth it. Long distance only doesn't work if the relationship isn't strong enough. I think ours is."

Scarlet kissed him gently as she felt her whole body ripple with warmth from his words. He believed that they could survive this.

"OK then. So I'll go there. And you'll stay here."