Chapter 62: Famous Last Words

Brenna

The elevator doors opened on the fifth floor, and I headed toward Magenta's suite and knocked.

"Brenna! Come in!" Magenta opened the door wide when she saw me standing on the other side and stepped back to let me in. I closed it behind me. "To what do I owe this unexpected visit?"

"Do you have a minute? There are a few things I need to speak with you about." I followed her into the dining room.

"Yes, of course!" Magenta waved her hand toward the kitchen as we passed and said, "Tea ministerium, facere tea, amabo te." Immediately, the teapot filled itself with water and settled onto the stove. Teacups and saucers flew around the room, landing lightly on the serving tray.

"I'll never get used to that." I chuckled, shaking my head as I followed behind.

Magenta motioned with her head toward the dining table. "Come. Sit." She sat at her usual spot and folded her hands on top of the table. "So, what would you like to discuss?"

"Well, there are two things. But what we talk about must stay between us."

A crease appeared between her eyes. "Yes, of course."

I let out a deep breath. "Is there a way we can materialize in the Snow Warrior Pack Compound?"

She nodded, her eyes filled with concern. "Yes, of course. We can travel through the Space-Time Continuum, just like we did when I teleported you to the Main Dining Hall when you first arrived."

"Good. I was hoping you'd say that." I folded my hands on top of the table. "We know that Darius Snow will be expecting us to launch a counterattack, but if we materialize to where he is—"

"Then we'll have the element of surprise," she finished. "It's brilliant. Truly brilliant."

A smile lit my lips. "But is there a way to know where he is or where we will be materializing?"

She shook her head, thinking. "We will materialize wherever he is, but we will have no prior knowledge of where that will be."

"I was afraid of that." I let out a deep breath. "So, if he's in the Main Dining Hall at his Compound, then we'll materialize with everyone there."

"I'm afraid so," Magenta said. "But it's probably our best shot at keeping down the casualties."

"That's what I was thinking." I bit my upper lip and released it. Then I had an idea. "But if we could lure him out—"

"Then we will be able to control where he is," Magenta added. "Brilliant! Adan will probably be able to help with that."

I nodded, smiling. "I'll speak with him to see what he thinks. But in the meantime, could you teach me the spell? If you're in agreement, you and I could teleport the others with us."

She nodded. "But we'll only be able to take four with us at a time. I wouldn't chance taking more than that."

"So, there'll be ten of us." I sighed. "We'll have to choose the time carefully when there's a better chance of him being alone or lure him off the Compound."

Magenta nodded. "Exactly."

Just then, the serving tray floated through the air and set itself down in the center of the table. The teacups and saucers floated across the room and settled on the table in front of us. Like the time before, the sugar bowl poised itself in front of me, along with a spoon.

"Two, please." I smiled, shaking my head. "As long as I live, I'll never get used to this."

Magenta laughed. "Oh yes, you will." She looked up at the spoon. "Two, please." Then she glanced back over at me as the spoon added sugar and stirred her tea. "Before you know it, magic will become an extension of yourself. Just something that you can do... like breathing." She arched an eyebrow, tilting her head to the side. "Speaking of which, we need to set up regular appointments for your training."

"Sounds good." I took a sip of my tea, and it tasted like roses and rosemary with a touch of cinnamon. "Umm... this is delicious!"

She took a sip of her tea. "Thank you. I'll share the recipe with you later. You can make it for Adan and practice using your magic." Her smile faded as she set down her cup. "Magic is something that must be exercised and practiced daily. As the old saying goes, if you don't use it, you lose it."

I nodded, understanding. I took another sip of my tea, loving the flavor. It tasted like roses, cinnamon, and something else I couldn't place. I could drink a whole pot myself, if I wasn't careful.

"So, what else did you want to discuss?" Magenta took another sip of her tea.

A smile spread across my face. "When can you marry Adan and me?"

Her eyes flew open wide. "Seriously?" Then she took my hand. "I thought I saw a ring on that finger!" She turned my hand from side to side, watching the ring sparkle in the light. "This is absolutely gorgeous!" Then she released my hand and pulled me in for a quick hug. "Congratulations!"

"Thank you." I chuckled, hope and joy filling my soul.

"So, when are you planning this big event?" She took another sip of her tea, still smiling.

"Before the Blood Moon, if possible." I took a bite of a cookie that she had set out along with the tea.

Magenta nodded, her smile fading. "Yes. As I recall, the Council gave Adan one year to find his Mate. And that year is up at the Blood Moon."

I nodded. "Yes, but that's not the only reason we want to get married right away. We love each other and want to start our life together as soon as possible."

She nodded, smiling. "That's wonderful news. So, let's plan on having the wedding as soon as possible."

I let out a deep breath. "First, we'll need to take care of Darius Snow and his Pack. Then we'd like to get married right after."

She nodded. "There's only two weeks before the Blood Moon. Are you sure you want to wait to get married until after the attack?"

"I don't want to take the chance of our wedding being crashed with another attack." I took another sip of my tea. "And we've already lost enough men. We don't want to take a chance of losing more."

She arched an eyebrow. "Are you sure Adan will want to wait that long?"

I shrugged, smiling. "I'm sure he will. If we launch the attack right away, there shouldn't be any trouble getting married before the Blood Moon."

She arched an eyebrow. "Famous last words."