A Dance. (EvaJacks)

This was written a while ago so sorry for the typos 😭
———————————————————————————
Evangeline's POV:

I've always read about costume parties and balls in fairytales. In hopes of experiencing them one day. My mother used to always tell me about how with just a dance, people can end up finding their true love.  Luc and I have danced on several occasions but it was always merely unpleasant. I laugh at how uncoordinated Luc has always been, but it's what I liked about him...

The dress LaLa gave me is awfully pretty. The fabric is a soft yellow and has a pink ribbon on the back. And the patterns- oh how ironic. It's a dress to represent the fox from The Ballad of the Archer and the Fox. I sigh, but I decide to dress anyways.

I curled my hair with hot tongs, and style it nicely. I felt so pretty- i was twirling and checking myself out in the mirror- until I heard a knock. My heart dropped and skipped a beat when the door opened. "Little fox, are you ready?" Jacks asked entering my room- he wore tailored black pants with swords strapped to it on a brown belt. He had his shirt loosely tucked into his pants and it was not buttoned all the way up— as per usual. She also noticed that his golden hair was a bit messier.

Evangeline looked at him up and down, she then remembered her little eavesdropping in his conversation with LaLa. Jacks had said such cruel things and about how Evangeline was nothing but a mere tool to him, and how he was just giving her what she wanted. She knew she was just a key but she wanted to be so much more... she knew a story could have infinite endings, and she hoped one of hers were a happily ever after.

She frowned and looked away from jacks. She tried to think of a way to get out of this. "You go ahead without me, I haven't finished getting ready." She walked over to her bed which had her suitcase propped on it. She opened it up once more and pulled out pink ribboned slippers from it.

"Fine by me." Jacks tossed a white apple up and down in his hands. "Don't keep everyone waiting though, little fox." He grinned and took a bite out of his apple, red juice trickling down his chin. He turned on his heel and walked out of her room, closing the door behind him.

Evangeline sighed in relief. She slipped on the pink slippers and tied up the ribbons into a bow. They wrapped around her calves nicely, and made their way slowly to below her knees.

Evangeline sat on the edge of the bed for a few more moments. Silence filled the air of her room. She let out a long sigh and could feel her heart pounding in her chest, as if it wanted to escape and chase after someone desperately. She shook off all thoughts and rose back to her feet. She took one more look in the mirror and her stomach turned. She just wanted this night to be over already...

Evangeline made her way back to the room that everyone was dancing in. The room that everyone ate in the the night originally. She looked towards the large painting door in the wall, her stomach twisted and turned as she remembered all the thoughts and interaction with Jacks and that darling girl. She remembered the way Jacks had dismissed the darling girl so quickly when Evangeline told him to prove that his kiss was worth dying for, and pinned Evangeline to the wall instead. Tonight, she wanted to enjoy herself and forget about the way butterflies swarmed her stomach when Jacks had pinned her. The way her skin shivered when his hand travelled up her thigh— the way his breath tickled her neck. She wanted to forget about all those feelings currently.

Evangeline felt sick to her core as she continued walking through the crowd of people in the room. She took a goblet of mead? Wine? Or whatever it was, from a servants silver platter that he carried around the room. She quickly downed the continents. It was quiet strong and rich— it made her cheeks flushed. She didn't hesitate to grab another goblet though. Evangeline put down the empty goblet on the servants silver platter and grabbed another, also quickly drinking that one. Once again, she placed the empty goblet on the platter, and made her way through the crowd.