chapter 3

The bonfire with Jude and her friends had been fun, and I got to know Amber and Lily pretty well.

It had been a few weeks since the bonfire, and our house had finally started to feel more like a home. My parents and I had settled in quite a bit more, and had started to develop a routine.

Right now it was 2:30 am the week before school was about to start, and my anxiety was high. I'm a night owl, and I had been trying to figure out my sleep schedule before school, but it was not working. I was tossing and turning in bed for over an hour before I finally threw my covers off. I was only in my plaid pajama pants and a cropped white tank, so I threw on my team Canada hockey hoodie over top.

I grabbed a joint and lighter from inside my dresser, and headed outside. My room was in the basement, and there was a door down there that led to my driveway. I started up the stairs and decided to just perch myself at the top of them and light up.

I had just inhaled the beginning of my joint when a voice startled me. "Bad girl sneaking out in the middle of the night to smoke." I looked up to see hot neighbour boy sauntering up his driveway towards his house. "And who might you be?" I countered.

A smirk quirked his mouth as he veered across his front yard toward me. "I'm Cain. Who are you new girl?" I frowned at him as he came to a stop at the side of his house that was opposite me. He had his hood up and hands in his pockets as he leaned against the wall. "Mia," I answered him. He ran his tongue across his top teeth with his mouth still closed as he checked me out from top to bottom, slowly, slowly, slowly. "Hmm," is the only noise he made.

I took another hit from my joint without breaking his eye contact. I would guess he's probably my age, maybe a year older. I couldn't help but notice his beautiful bone structure, plump lips, such dark brown eyes that they were almost black. God, he was so hot.

"Couldn't sleep Mia?" He added my name to that sentence almost as an afterthought, and his eyes shone as he added it. He knew I would like how he said my name. He knows what he's doing. I give him a slight frown with my eyes and shrug my shoulders. I didn't wanna give too much away to this guy. I had a feeling he would cling on to anything I gave him, and use it against me.

Just as he opened his mouth to say something else, his phone started vibrating from his pocket. He retrieved his phone and eyed the screen, looking a mix of anxious and annoyed. "Fuck," he mumbled under his breath. He started to walk towards his front door, but he turned around before he made it there. As he was walking backwards he said "Night Mia." I didn't answer him. I stayed there until my joint had finished, then stayed a few minutes after that. I came out here to clear my head, but it had just added something to the list of things bouncing around my head.

Huh.