New School Blues

"It's boring here. The entire block is old people and kids. I hate it here. I miss you." Alex says looking out the window while on the phone.

"Give it a chance Lex. It's only 10 months till graduation. I'll be here waiting." Ryan replied.

Alex gave a slight smirk of assurance.

"LEXI, dinner ready!!" Alex mom yelled upstairs

"Call u after dinner. Answer please" Alex said

"I will." Ryan said.

Alex mom prepared a feast. Her dad was sitting at the dinner table in his suit and tie. Alex noticed a manila folder on the table in front her chair.

"Hey dear. Have a seat next to me." Alex dad said.

"Did u finally finish unpacking sweetie?" Alex mom asked.

"Almost!" Alex answered

"Lexi, it's been 2 months. It doesn't take that long to unpack." Alex mom said.

"What's this?" Alex asked while ignoring her mom

"The paperwork from your new school. You'll be attending Wapsie Valley High School. You start Monday morning." Alex dad says with a smile.

"Can u have an open mind about this Lexi? I want you to make new friends and get comfortable here. This is our last stop. I promise." Alex mom expressed.

"Well what about college?" Alex asked

"Well I was thinking u go to Upper Iowa University." Her mom says

"Mom no!! I'm going to college in Georgia. I can't live here forever. My life is in Columbus." Alex says in a shaken voice.

"You're not going back to Georgia and that's that now! Let's not have this discussion again Alex Baxter!" Her dad yells.

Alex leaves the dinner table & runs upstairs. With tears in her eyes closes her door and dial Ryan number on her cell. No answer. She sends a text.

"Nothing or no one will keep me from you"

___________________________

"Alex Baxter"

"Yes?" Alex answered.

"Would u like to introduce yourself to the class?" The teacher said

Alex stands up. Wearing baggy Levi jeans. A white tee shirt and converse. Her hair in a pulled back ponytail with medium size hoops. She walks to the front of the class.

"What's up. I'm Alex. I'm new here. From the south. And that's it." Alex said quickly while walking back to her seat.

The class chuckles. The teacher hit the desk to get the class attention.

"Won't be any of that children. Thank you Alex. Welcome to Wapsie High." The teacher says

Alex gives a fake smile & nod her head. The bell ring. All the students gather their belongings and head to the exit. Alex moves slowly and wait till everyone leaves.

"Alex." The teacher calls

"This school is pretty welcoming. I want you to make friends. I talk to your dad. He had a lot of great things to say about u. Don't worry. You'll love it here." The teacher expresses

Alex smiles and walk into the hall. A very petite girl with braces is waiting for her outside the door. She's beautiful. She has shoulder length honey blonde hair. Caramel complexion and real fashionably clothes

"Yo, I'm Lisa. What's your next class?" The girl says

Alex looking puzzled at first. Goes through her folder and look for her schedule. She finds it and hands it to Lisa. She looks over it.

"Oh ok u have Mr. Sanders next. Me too. I'll show u where it is." Lisa offered.

"Ooook." Alex agreed in disbelief.

They continue to walk down the hall

"So what part of the south you from? I have family in Dallas. I hate it there tho." Lisa babbles

"Georgia. It's not my hometown but that's where I spent my best years. I'm originally from here. We moved when I was 2 months. Alex answered.

"Oh cool. How long u been back?" Lisa asked.

"Just 2 months. Honestly, I can't wait to leave." Alex says

"Why? What's back home? Family? Friends? Booski?" Lisa says smiling while staring at Alex.

Alex laughs.
"Yes. A little bit of all three." She says

"Well, for what it's worth. We can be friends. I'm Lisa!" She says while reaching out her hand.

"Alex!" She says smirking and shaking Lisa's hand.

Lisa & Alex walks in Mr. Sanders class. Lisa walk to her desk. Alex stand up waiting for an open desk. Lisa sits down and tap the student next to her.

"Aye, let my girl sit here. If u don't mind!" Lisa ask with a straight face.

The student gets up quickly. Alex sits next to Lisa and unpack her book sack. The teacher walk down the aisle in between Lisa and Alex.

"Will this be a problem Ms. Dupree?" The teacher ask

"Oh nah sir. Not at all. I'm just showing my girl some southern..... hospitality." Lisa says with a big smile.

The classroom laughs. The teacher looks up and the class becomes quiet. Alex looking around with a smirk. She still in disbelief how a girl befriended her so quickly.

"Ms. Baxter. Welcome to Wapsie High." The teacher said

"Thank you." Alex says with a smile