Chapter 6: Attack on Xyrus part 1

Start from the beginning

The once clear barrier formation that kept any intruders, including mana beasts, from entering the campus, had already turned into a translucent red cage, making the sky look like it was dipped in blood, keeping anyone or anything from leaving.

I didn't know who the voice belonged to, but its motives were clear. He was willing to take human captives, but wanted all nonhuman mages either dead or incapacitated. I could see pillars of smoke from different buildings of the academy where fights were happening. From time to time, I locked eyes with some of the Disciplinary Committee members as they were fighting off several mana beasts, acknowledging each other since we had no time to brief each other on the situation elsewhere.

There were obviously traitors in the academy, because some of the professors were now being held off by other professors while cloaked figures, as well as the mana beasts, were taking care of the students.

It was strange; I've seen some of the mana beasts while I was an Adventurer, but the only thing different about them was the coloration, or lack of color to be more exact. Except for their matching red eyes, all of the mana beasts that flooded Xyrus Academy looked like they had their colors drained, as they were just different hues of gray.

I couldn't tell how many hours had passed since the invasion started, but there were no signs of help arriving for some reason, like we were closed off from the rest of Xyrus.

________________________________

"Where were the lances while this was happening? This is practically a declaration of war!" Blaine Glayder slammed his fist down on the hand rest of his seat, causing a loud thud to resound in the theater room.

"There was a barrier set up so that the connection to the world outside the academy was cut off. Nobody could get in or out." Scythe Seris said, and The Librarian nodded his head, glad to not have to explain something for once.

"That and the floating castle was pretty far from the academy. The barrier didn't help any, and it took time for news of the attack to reach the lances." The Librarian continued on for Seris.

"How useless! We get attacked and we can barely do anything because of a stupid barrier?" Blaine was still fuming with anger.

"Yes, all because of a stupid barrier. Now shut up and watch." The Librarian told him, and he gazed back at the screen.

___________________________________

I trudged on through the campus quad where bodies laid limp and pools of blood formed around them. This academy was supposed to be the safe haven for future mages of this continent. It pissed me off more than anything that there weren't proper measures implemented for this type of scenario. Since the unification of the three Kingdoms, did The Council not think that there would be enemies?

Just as I was about to follow after a cloaked figure into one of the Alchemy labs, a throaty growl caught my attention enough to avoid a thorned growler's jaw. Unfortunately, I couldn't avoid its pounce and was hammered into the ground hard enough to knock the wind out of me.

"Grrrrr," as the giant, furry lizard-shaped mana beast's saliva was drenching my uniform, its red eyes were staring at me, as if waiting for me to do something.

"Screw off!" I grunted as I simultaneously conjured a pillar from the ground, launching the two-meter long mana beast in the air before it flipped agilely to regain its ground.

Before I had the chance to do anything more, a sword flew down from the sky, skewering the thorned growler's head to the ground. The mana beast squirmed helplessly for a couple of seconds before its body also sank to the ground lifelessly.