Prologue: The Decision

Start from the beginning

Before reaching out and making Obi-Wan close his hand, lightsaber still encased in his grip.

Anakin looked at him sadly, Obi-Wan just looked utterly confused.

Until the fateful choice was made.

"I'm sorry Obi-Wan..."

He shook his head.

"But I'm not coming back."

He looked to the other councilors, while all seemed surprised, only Obi-Wan, Plo, Shaak Ti, Elizabeth, and surprisingly Mace, looked devastated, while Yoda did too, but Anakin wasn't sure if he felt genuinely sorry for Anakin's whole situation, or just sorry that he hadn't made the right call.

Anakin turned and slowly walked out of the council chambers, all of them watching on.

Shadday and Mira didn't know Anakin much personally, nor did Eeth or Kit, but they all felt all the more guilty.

Shaak Ti had always had Anakin's back in the order, from the time he was merely a youngling. She and master Kelleran Beq would constantly check in on him and Obi-Wan, and never tolerated the other younglings or the instructors bullying him.

She was always there in case he needed someone, anyone else, she dare say she developed a pretty good friendship with the young Jedi knight, but now he was leaving.

Plo Koon sighed silently, as he himself was fond of Skywalker. Sure he was unorthodox, very, but he always held a deep care for others. Silently he realized Dooku had been right all those years ago when he said the council was flawed.

Mace Windu found he too was saddened, maybe not as much, but to a higher degree then some. He had come to a new understanding of Skywalker recently, despite the fact he might not always see eye to eye with him. But he didn't blame Anakin for making that choice.

Elizabeth just stared out the window, having considered Anakin a good friend since the Battle of Christophsis, she knew Depa did too. Anakin's choice only disillusioned her from the rest of the council (minus those who had sided with Anakin).

Then Obi-Wan just stared in utter shock, not believing his ears.

Anakin was leaving, his brother was leaving.

The boy he'd grown such a strong attachment to since the time after the Battle of Naboo.

The boy he trained and practically raised for over ten years now.

The young man who'd become Ahsoka's master...and had yet to fully complete her training.

Was leaving.

He started to follow Anakin, but Plo placed a hand on his shoulder, stopping him.

After Anakin left the chambers and the doors were closed, they stood silently for a moment.

Until Plo spoke again, voice full of remorse, which Obi-Wan didn't get considering the Kel-Dor master hadn't done anything wrong here.

"Anakin has made his choice. Now, his path is his own to decide."

Obi-Wan only acknowledged with a single tear trailing down his face.

He stared at Anakin's lightsaber, still in his hand.

"Gone..."

None of them had ever heard Obi-Wan sound so...

Shattered.

...

Which made the councilors feel all the more worse.

.
.
.