Chapter 5

Andy woke up with a massive headache in the backseat of her car. She was surrounded by a litter of packages from half-eaten late-night eateries. She brushed the packages to the side and sat up, leaned against the headrest of the passenger's seat, and waited for her head to stop pounding. She must've had a night. Her feet were bare, and her boots had been tossed to the side.

Outside of her car, the complex was lively. It was a beautiful Saturday, and the sun shone into her car—the blessing of a beautiful sabbath and the beginning of something great. She turned her head to the side and looked out and smiled—not quite remembering last night but remembering feelings of joy and hope.

Yeah, she'd had an awesome night.

Andy happily stumbled from the backseat of her car, careful to grab her bag and lock the car. She left her boots—she could walk barefoot and be just fine. She walked up one flight of stairs to her sister's second floor apartment. DaMonte was gone, but the kids were very much there and had already torn up the apartment. Cassandra was in the kitchen cooking breakfast, and she reminded Andy of their mother when she had been alive and well when they were little. 

Cassandra called into the front room, "I'm cooking breakfast. Want some?"

Usually, Andy said no, but that morning, she said "Yes," and busied herself by opening the blinds in the apartment and cleaning up. Cassandra noted the upbeat change in her sister and smiled within. It made her happy to see her sister happy.

Andy had a random thought as she cleaned and as her sister cooked, "Hey," she called into the kitchen.

"Ya?" Cassandra answered.

"Mind if I pitch in more with the rent?" Andy asked.

Cassandra put her spatula down, stepped out of the kitchen and looked at Andy, "Why? Is everything alright?"

"You and DaMonte need more help from me while I'm here."

Cassandra waved her hand, "Don't worry about DaMonte."

Andy instinctively reached in her pocket and pulled out two-hundred-dollar bills. She didn't know how it had gotten there, but she knew it was there before she broached the topic, "I want to help. Let me help."

Cassandra teared up and had no idea why, but the burden that had been sitting on her chest for months lifted. She was so happy and grateful. 

Andy gave her the best hug she could—given her sister's great belly-- and re-assured her, "When people love you with what they have, you love them back with the same effort."

Where had she gotten that from?

---------------

Later that week as she helped her sister with her resume and went over hers, too, and while doing that she noticed an odd picture in her phone.

In the picture, she was at a bar with a wide-mouthed glass in her hand. She looked so beautiful and free. She smiled and laughed as if she were in deep conversation with the person beside her.

 There was nothing beside her besides an empty space and a collection of empty shot glasses.

---------------

The End.