He studied her keenly before standing up and nodding his head.

She dropped the poster and kissed him on the cheek before hugging him.

Everyone in the cafeteria started to cheer and clap.

I felt a sharp pain in my chest. It was as if I had just been stabbed.

My grip tightened around my fork as mixed emotions consumed me. Anger and sadness did not mix with me.

When I felt my eyes started to swell with tears, I got up and left the cafeteria.

I've never felt this pain before. It's almost indescribable.

My chest hurts and it feels like I'm being choked with a wire around my neck. I opened my mouth to speak but nothing came out.

Hot tears trickled down my face as I made my way to my usual hiding spot, the old bathroom stall.

This was a betrayal. I didn't even feel like hurt when I caught Chase and Belly.

I knew he was not mine. I knew I was only his secret. I knew the chances of us every being something was slim but I still kept going.

I can't keep going through this.

When will it stop?

When they're married with four kids?

He thinks I'm an idiot!

I should have never went to his house that day. I should have just stayed curious. If I had only stayed in my shell, I would have remained hating him.

I wouldn't be crying in some old bathroom stall because he said yes to prom to some mean, popular girl.

I wouldn't be in love with him!

Someone touched me on the shoulder, and I jumped.

It was Chase.

"What happened? You just got up and left. Class has already started."

I wiped my eyes which were probably redder than blood by now. "Leave me alone Chase."

He stayed quiet and just stood there. "It's Haze, isn't it?"

I quickly looked up to him. "What?"

"That mysterious guy who gave you that hickey. It was Haze."

I stayed quiet.

"Aaron told me that he saw him touch you and didn't stop him. He convinced himself that you were just in shock but I know you. Anyways I convinced myself that you two would never be an option and forgot it. However, when I saw the way you just reacted, I knew. I've never seen you so jealous before."

I stood up and walked to the sink to wash my face. "You're wrong. Haze and I are not a thing."

He grabbed my arm. "Well look me in the eye and tell me I'm wrong."

I looked at him and pulled away my arm. "Let go of me!"

"What were you thinking getting with a man like that? What will Belly think? Shit, what will Aaron, the guy who that psycho almost killed, think?"

"Haze doesn't like you if that's what you're thinking. You're just one of his other whores!"

My eyes filled with tears.

"What does he do when you guys are together? Beat you? What, you got a bully kink now?"

"Shut up!" I shouted as I pushed him away from me and he laughed.

"He'll never love you! Not like how I love you."

"Leave me alone!" I cried.

"You're a nobody to him! Guys like him only cares about themselves! I'm going to tell the others everything and they'll never talk to you again!"

"Please, don't!" I begged. "I'm done with him, I swear!"

"Are you lying?"

I shook my head. "No, we're done."

...

I closed my eyes as I shut the front door. I rest my head on the door and just allowed myself to breathe.

All I needed was one moment of peace.

"I baked cookies!"

I smiled as I heard the cheerful voice behind me. I've never wanted to hear that voice in my life so much as I did now.

I immediately turned around and hugged Tom.

He stayed still before rubbing my back. "What's going on?"

"I'm sorry," I cried. "I'm sorry for treating you so bad when all you did was marry my mother. I should have been mad at her because she's the one who cheated. I shouldn't have taken my anger out on you."

He laughed. "Eve, where is all this coming from?"

"You can never be my dad but I want you to be my stepdad," I requested as I hugged him tighter and cried harder. "I had a really bad day today and I need a shoulder to cry on."

He wrapped his arms around me. "Awww Eve, I'll always be here for you."