Author's note

( Before we begin, I'd like to add that I published this story on a separate Wattpad account in 2012, and sadly had to delete it because of problems. Luckily, I'd saved copies of parts of these stories as documents, so I can publish them again with a trip down memory lane 😊 ) 

Alright, hello people!  Before we begin this story, I would like to clarify a few things: 

1) This story takes place in the period of WW2, and right now, it is December 1942. Helen's 24. The current location is Camp Lehigh. Buckaroo and the 107th division have been deployed to New Jersey for initial training. Also, canonically, in the MCU, Steve Rogers was frozen in the ice on February 5, 1945. I know some sources say differently. Or I might be incorrect. Feel free to prove me wrong.

2) It is a Marvel fanfiction, and because I am an asshole, I have changed a bunch of timelines. It's just for personal preference, though. You can tell me if you don't like the changes ( I will tell you what they are moving forward )

3) This is a Steve Rogers fanfic. So you know where this is going... 😜

4) I will try to follow the original script of the movie. With alterations, of course. But most of the story that contains the actual characters will be the same. It may sound a bit boring, but I am not known for an aptitude at writing, soooo...

5) Flashbacks. Tons and TONS of flashbacks. 

6) Our character is basically the equivalent of Peggy Carter, BUT... it is a little bit complicated. I have a specific person in mind when I write about Helen and her appearance, ( it's not me, btw. Definitely not), but of course, this is Helen. This is not going to look like Hayley Atwell, the actress who portrayed Peggy Carter in the MCU. But imagine it any way you want to: you could even imagine yourself with light brown hair and blue eyes (don't groan, I'm not trying to be cliché). The changes will explain the character better :

Changes

- Peggy Carter is the aunt of Helen Carter. It's... yeah, that's kind of it.

- Helen Carter has Peggy's job and works for the SSR. In 1940, Helen received a recommendation from the army, where she was asked to apply for the SOE ( Special Operations Executive ) job. It's the job that Peggy Carter has in Captain America: First Avenger. Helen has also received an undergraduate degree in nursing from the University of Pennsylvania.

- Because Peggy's old, you may ask, "Who founded SHIELD, then?". Worry not my friend, for I have a solution: Yeah, I'm not telling you yet. 

- To those of you who have watched the 'Agent Carter' series, we are going to replace Peggy with Helen. But, there are a few timeline changes, obviously. So, there was Helen, Howard and Jarvis. And Sousa. Those are going to be the events of 1939, I guess. But I'm too lazy to write all of that, so maybe in the future, I will write it. Maybe. Let's remove season 2 really quickly, because why not. And... done. Successfully got rid of a memorable character because I am a despicable demon-spawn. Moving on...

-  Peggy Carter was married to some guy, Glenn, who I guess was a soldier from WW1. Funny enough, his last name was also 'Carter'. She had 3 sons: Raymond, Louis and Thomas. Thomas is the youngest, and is Helen's favourite cousin. Raymond and Louis are Generals in Europe. Why am I telling you this? Let's find out, shall we? *insert Dwayne Johnson meme*

Facts about Helen Carter:

- Her full name is Helena Ruth Carter. 

- Her birthday was on February 22nd, 1919.

- She has fire manipulation powers, y'all. She also has heightened senses and increased strength. I don't want to tell you yet how she has those powers.

- Her parents ( Charles and Ruth ) died in a fire in a building that they were trying to evacuate ( Ironically, Ruth also had fire manipulation powers, but they were not as powerful as Helen's. Ruth, unlike Helen, was affected by heat, like a normal human being )

- Helen can do a LOT of things with her powers. Let's leave it at that.

- Helen's alias is 'Inferno'.

- Helen is a freaky-ass puny human. What I mean by that is, she literally can get hurt, but it REALLY does not last as long as someone would expect it to. Broken bone? Pfft. Couple hours and it's good as new. Scratches, scars, open-wounds? Give it a couple minutes. She still has sensory stimulation and can feel things, but she ain't got no pain. I know, cool, right? 😎

You might find that Helen's name has been replaced by another name sometimes, and that's just me being dumb. It was supposed to be a reader fic, but I've thought about it so much that Helen is basically a part of Marvel according to me. It's actually an OC fic. BUT... you are going to be Helen. You are Helen. Helen is you. And there's no turning back now. Actually, there is, but READ THE FIRST CHAPTER OF THE STORY, AT LEAST.

You might also see that a few parts of the story could be written in first-person (you, yours) instead of second-person (you, yours). It's supposed to be in second-person. If you spot any mistakes, please just tell me in the comments. Remember, you are Helen. 

I don't wanna be that person, but I want, like, at least a few people to read this story. I've put so much work into this. 

Why the heck have I dedicated an entire goddamn page to every minuscule detail about this story? Because I have nothing better to do with my life. 

If you have any questions whatsoever, feel free to ask me in the comments.

Alright, thank you for bearing with me, and let's get started. 😊

P.S.  I know absolutely nothing about the army, so tell me if I've done something wrong, or if I could have changed a detail.