Disk 01: Chapter 31: Keystone Kats

The morning after Cloud's victory at the Battle arena, Aerith and I arose and ordered in room service from the Ghost Hotel's kitchen. The food arrived and we made plans while we ate. "As soon as we're finished up here." I said. "I'm heading to the museum and not letting the keystone out of my sight."

Aerith shook her head. "I'm wondering if there's any point."

"How do you mean?"

"Well, suppose we did prevent Cait from taking the thing... Would it really accomplish all that much? For all we know Shinra would just find a way to force their way through the security systems anyway. Or Sephiroth might on his own. Maybe we should just play this through the way it's supposed to go, at least as far as Knowlespole." She replied.

"That's an awful risk Aer."

"Nah, I really don't think it is." She said smiling. "I'm confident in you."

"I'm not."

"Then you need to change that. Have some faith... It'll be rough, sure, but we'll both come through it in the end..."

I laughed slightly. "You know something I don't?"

Later, Aerith would tell me that she very nearly spilled the beans about her meeting with Ganthet and his allies then. Instead, remembering his admonitions, she said "I know that Ganthet must've chosen you for a reason... He wouldn't have grabbed just anyone out of their world, right? Look, maybe what we should do is this: We'll go ahead with your plan to try to stop Cait, but if it doesn't work then we set our minds on seeing the rest through."

"I guess that's how it'll have to be." I agreed.

After eating, we planned to proceed straight to the Battle Square museum. But before this could happen, a loud banging came on my door. "Yo Y/N! Up and at 'em! We got a problem!" Boomed Barrett's voice.

"What!?" I asked. From down the hall I heard the sound of Yuffie banging on the door of Aerith' empty room.

"The damn cat is what!" Barrett answered. "Cait's ripped off the Keystone! Cloud an' Teef are huntin' him down but we need help!"

"Alright, you go ahead!" I shouted back. "I'll head for Wonder Square!" Barrett agreed and I heard the sound of his heavy boots clomping away down the hall. "That was fast." I said to Aerith. "I didn't really expect this til' after dark."

The sound of Yuffie banging futilely on Aerith' door continued. "C'mon Aer! Wake up!"

"What will be will be." Aerith said to me. "How we gonna handle Yuffie knowing I spent the night here?"

"I don't really care what she thinks." I answered. "And she probably won't notice anyway. This is Yuffie we're talking about."

"It's Yuffie, yes. But she's also a teenage girl. She'll notice." Aerith said as we walked to the door. "Oh well, I had hoped no one would know 'til afterwards... Risk of unpredictable changes and all... but it can't be helped."

We exited into the hall and went to Yuffie. She spun around in surprise as Aerith said "I'm already up Yuff, let's go already!"

"Okay good!" Yuffie said. She began to speak rapidly, but slowed as realization hit her; "Cloud and Teef are looking for Cait in the Battle Arena, Barrett's watching the main hub, and Red, Vinny and Cid have Rount, Event, and Speed Squares covered... I'll hit the Choco Tracks if you guys take the arcade... and... Wait a minute... Where were you anyway?" She stared at Aerith.

"None of your business."

Yuffie blushed. "Oh my god, were you two...?"

"Not now Yuffie!" I snapped. "Chocobo Square!"