The Innocent Mistake - 10

Start from the beginning

"Sorry, Siddhu," she whispered. His efforts to resist temptation were futile as a small smile formed on his face, causing her own lips to curve with happiness. Sidharth discreetly broke off a piece of paratha and quickly consumed it, while Sana's smile grew wider with each bite he took.

"Sidharth, what's the difference between an agro-based industry and a mineral-based industry?" the teacher suddenly asked, startling Sidharth. Sana immediately grabbed the lunchbox from his hand so that he could stand up and answer the teacher.

"Ummm...," Sidharth stuttered, hastily swallowing the food in his mouth.

"What were you doing under the table?" the teacher inquired, approaching closer. Sana swiftly pushed the lunchbox into the desk compartment.

"I... I was picking up a pencil that fell down," Sidharth replied nervously.

"Show me your homework," the teacher ordered, peering at him. Sana discreetly slid her open book in front of him just as the teacher reached his desk. The teacher picked up the book and inspected it without noticing the name written on the cover.

"Hmm, good! But writing isn't enough. You should also be able to explain orally. Please sit down," the teacher said, her eyes scanning Sana's desk, which was empty.

"Where is your book, Sana?" the teacher asked.

"I forgot my book at home, ma'am," Sana mumbled apologetically as she stood up.

"I thought as much, considering you're a front bencher who's sitting at the back. Can you explain the difference between an agro-based industry and a mineral-based industry?" the teacher questioned her.

"Agro-based industries use plant and animal-based products as raw materials. Examples of agro-based industries include food processing, vegetable oil, cotton textile, dairy products, and leather industries. On the other hand, mineral-based industries are primary industries that utilize mineral ores as raw materials. The products of these industries serve as inputs for other sectors. Iron, made from iron ore, is a product of mineral-based industries, which is used as raw material for manufacturing heavy machinery, building materials, and railway coaches," Sana explained confidently.

"Excellent! You've clearly understood the concept and have completed your homework. Please have a seat," the teacher commended before returning to her own desk. Sidharth and Sana breathed a sigh of relief, sharing a smile between them.

The flashback ended, and Sana couldn't help but giggle as she reminisced about the incident.

She stole another glance at Sidharth, who sat wearily on the pavement, wiping the beads of sweat from his forehead, before retreating into the kitchen. As she absentmindedly moved the spatula through the food, her thoughts drifted back to Sidharth. Instead of serving the food onto her plate, she securely placed the lid back on the bowl and stepped out of her house. Standing at the signal, waiting for the pedestrian lights to turn green, she looked at him, who was surprised to find her.

"Sana..." A faint smile appeared on his tired face as she approached him.

"You're not leaving, are you?" she asked.

"I... I want to take respon-" his words were cut off by her.

"Yeah, I've heard your broken record before. Come with me," she said.

"Huh?" Sidharth couldn't believe his ears. Sana rolled her eyes before marching back to her home, with Sidharth trailing behind her. He stood along the nature strip, contemplating whether he should cross the boundary and enter her gate. Her piercing gaze made it clear that he should keep following her. Gathering his courage, he hesitantly followed her to the main door of her house.

She once again shot him a dagger-like look when his steps halted at the threshold of the house. He looked down, filled with fear and contemplation.

Was he allowed to enter, or should he wait at the door like a stray animal, hoping for her mercy?

"What are you waiting for?" she asked.

"Aaa... ummm... I... May I come in?" he asked, seeking her permission. This was the first time he had ever needed to ask to enter her house. He had never needed it before, at least not until he made that innocent yet forbidden mistake that had snatched away their adolescence and forced them into adulthood before their time.

"No, wait! I will get a symphonic band to perform a show to welcome you inside," Sana took a dig at him.

He shook his head, denying the need for such a spectacle, and crossed the threshold, still keeping his head down in guilt.

"Did you say that you would do anything I asked you to do earlier?" she inquired.

He nodded in agreement.

"I want to eat bottle gourd curry. Make it for me," she ordered, surprising him.

"The kitchen is over there. The bottle gourd is in the fridge, and you can find the rest of the ingredients yourself," she smirked, hoping that he would revolt against her request. But to her surprise, a small smile crept onto his face. He nodded in agreement and went into the kitchen, leaving a shocked Sana standing there.

What's with the smile? Does he even know how to cook?

She wondered as she waited in the living room, staring at him searching for ingredients in the open kitchen. It took him around three-quarters of an hour to return to her with a plate filled with her favorite bottle gourd curry and rice. When she looked at the plate he offered, her mouth hung open in disbelief.

"Eat," she commanded, but she refrained from touching the plate.

"Huh?" He looked flabbergasted.

"I don't trust you," she said, her words stinging him somewhere deep in his heart. He nodded, biting his lip, before mixing a small portion of curry with rice and eating it. It was yet again her turn to be surprised when she saw that he ate the bottle gourd without making any disgusted faces or throwing tantrums. If only she knew that his travel experiences in that metal box had taught him to respect all types of food.

Snatching the plate from his hand after he had taken three spoonfuls, she said, "Get another plate for yourself. My baby and I are famished."

"It's fine. I... I already had lunch," he stuttered in response.

"What?" she probed.

"Huh?" He looked at her, confusion etched on his face.

"What did you eat?" she asked.

"Aaa... a sandwich?" He lied.

"Yet, I want you to eat bottle gourd. It's my order," she said firmly.

"Hmmm..." he nodded and sauntered back into the kitchen to grab another plate of food.

_________

To be continued ❤️❤️