Chapter 4

Among human beings no one is happy…

Phil had pulled Eris into his cabin, shocked and confused. She was covered from head to toe in blood - who knows where and what it had come from, but she seemed unphased by it, almost delighted. Phil's reaction didn't bother her; it fed her with the attention she thought was deserved. 

She had been at a loss for something for too long, and the sweet release by killing someone was just the thing she needed. And yet she knew she shouldn't have done so, the act chipping further away at something at her core. 

But that's how gods were. Despite not being a real god, she was still called one and now more than ever it drove her to the point where she thought nothing could ever stop her.

“Alright, time for you to explain what's going on!” As enraged as Phil sounded, Eris still smiled at him, taking a seat on one of his chests. She played with the fur of coat that, just like her hands, was drenched in blood.

Everyone had their dirty little secrets that they held in their closet, but in Eris' case, the closet had overflown. She was no longer ashamed of them, and yet she still decided to keep them there, keep them deep inside that closet where they belonged.

“I have no clue what you’re talking about.”

“Eris, where and why did you leave? You once again left with literally no word, and It's finally time I hear the answers to my questions. Why did you leave then and why now?” He was harsh with his words and it was just enough to knock a little bit of sense into Eris for her to look up with the same expression she had given him a long time ago. 

That same expression made Phil soft in a moment in which didn’t deserve that softness. He truly cared for her and in this situation, it was his weakness, and that weakness allowed Eris to retreat back into herself. 

“I left because I don't wish to be associated with people who are soft. People who place their relationships and feelings over their ambitions,” she remarked and left Phil stunned right there, in his cabin, all by himself.

It wasn't always like this, she never thought of people like this till the moment the fear and confusion plaguing her mind turned to something much darker. Back when she lived with Phil, back when he had first rescued her, they would go on trips, explore the lands and travel to beautiful locations all around them and have fun along the way. Phil was the closest thing to a father figure in her life, as she’d been separated from her parents at an early age. She could not remember them nor did she wish to. Phil was enough and she was proud to say it.

So was it a certain greed that now plagued her or something worse? She had always had reasons for doing the things she did. Eris was happy living in the middle of nowhere, being raised in this snowy place that she grew to love, but the idea of someone depending on her, caring for and trusting her - it made her paranoid.

She had thought about leaving for a while, but there never was a clear reason to do it until Will visited one night and, to her shock, confessed to her. Being already scared of people getting too close, this was her final push. She didn't want Phil or Will to be brutally killed like the loving boy she grew up with, so to leave and not tell either of them was the only option she had seen.

Her plan was to earn a living with what Phil had taught her, but she hadn't expected that to be the thing that drove her onto a path of self-destruction. She had once hoped to live a peaceful life, and after coming back to Phil, she once again hoped it would finally happen, but the past follows everywhere you go, and that past was looming over her now.

But after the harsh exchange and the tension now building between Phil and her, she stood in Techno’s house with all the others and listened to Techno explain the plan for a fight she was requested to be a part of once again. She did not care for the finer details as all she knew was that she would have to be in her best element - scout out the situation, report and attack. Just like always.