I grab my black coat and dress it as my father does the same with his before we leave the house. We head inside my dad's car, and I struggle a bit with my long dress, not used to wearing it, almost being stuck with a heel in the fabric. My dad laughs at my clumsiness.

«Don't laugh,» I fend off. «This is the second and last time I wear something fancy.»

«When was the first time?»

I panic, forgetting that it was on the date with Kevin. «University party,» I lie, shrugging. «We had to wear something elegant because the place was luxurious. Antonio forced me to wear a black dress. It was very uncomfortable.» I feel proud of my little lie, and suddenly I realise how good I have become at making up stories. My mom would always catch my lies, but with my dad is easier.

«Don't worry,» my dad starts as he drives alongside Milan's dark street. «We'll go back home soon. I'm not staying there that long and meeting all those people I don't even know.»

Meeting. Kevin is there. My father will be there. Why didn't I think about it before? They'll meet. My father will see Kevin and vice-versa. Oh no, this is not good. Not so good. Stupid me that I got distracted by everything and forgot the important thing: not making them meet. «Well, we can still drop everything and go back home. What do you think?» I try with hope filling my veins.

My dad frowns. «No,» he retorts. «Not now. I'll go there, make my appearance and then we can leave. I have to show up. I am the headmaster of my sector. It's my duty.»

«I am sure they won't care about it that much.» I bit my cheeks. «I mean, not that you're not important-»

«You agreed to come with me. What made you change your mind?»

Maybe the fact that I totally forgot you will meet the guy who is filling my days with joy and stress and I have no idea what we are but still we are something. «I changed my mood quickly, but it's fine. I tried. Let's go and have fun for that little while we stay there.»

I inhale sharply and press my body in my seat, looking outside as the buildings fly fast in front of my eyes and feeling my heart beating like a machine against my chest. My dad doesn't know what Kevin looks like, and if he sees me, he can also notice my father next to me. Maybe he'll understand and not try to approach me. Maybe, I am panicking about something that won't be that much. But somehow, I have a hunch that this will be a long and intensive night.

My Dad and I walk together towards the entrance of the large place where the Gala is hosted. I keep my arm wrapped around my dad's, and he pulls me gently inside the hall, waiting for the line to move and for our turn. When a young woman in a suit and hair pulled in a low chignon smiles at us, my father tells her our last name. She quickly checks her tablet and then points to the name.

«Welcome to Adonis' Gala,» she greets us and my back shivers to hear that last name. «You can leave your coat to my colleague. He'll put a target with your name on it,» she warns us before pointing to the closet with her hand.

My dad thanks her before we reach the man she pointed to. He helps me take off my coat. Fresh air hit my bare back, and I straighten my shoulders to look like I am not out of my crowd. I wait for my father to be ready. Then, we march together inside the big room. Classical music from an Orchestra plays in my ears, coming from my left. But my eyes scan the room, seeing how Joe likes to do things in big.

The room has two floors, and people are spread everywhere, with champagne glasses in their hands and low voices, as if speaking is not allowed. In the middle of the large hall is a long buffet table. Foods and drinks are standing all along the marble mobile. I shift my gaze and see a little stage in front of me at the end of the room with a microphone on it, and I wonder if we are going to hear Joe speaking. I would hold a laugh if he broaches a speech about being good and how proud he is of his life.