Chapter 57: Questions

Adan

"How do you know Nikoa?" Brenna asked as we entered the elevator.

"I told you." I held the door open for her to enter first. "But I was just about to ask you the same thing."

She bit her upper lip and released it. "Nikoa was friendly with my father before the attack. My father wanted me to choose him, but he wasn't mine. I was waiting for my Mate."

"Just like me." I nodded, understanding. "How do you feel about him?"

When the elevator stopped, I held the door open for her, and we headed toward my suite. Since Nikoa had decided not to stay, I kept our dinner here. If he were joining us, I would have moved it to the small conference room downstairs. Even though Nikoa and I had been friends for more years than I could count, I was glad that Brenna and I would be dining alone.

"I'm not in love with him and never felt the Pull of the Mate with him." Brenna walked into my suite and turned to face me.

"And with me?" I held a chair for her at the table and pushed it under her as she sat.

Brenna gazed into my eyes as I sat kitty-corner from her at the head of the table. "I'd never felt the Pull of the Mate before I met you. As soon as we met, I knew you were the one." I poured us both a glass of wine and handed one to her. She took a sip. "Did you feel it, too... when we first met?"

I nodded, giving her a small smile. "All these years, I'd never taken a wife because I was waiting for my Mate." I took a sip of champagne. "I almost didn't go to the auction at Fletcher's that night. But now, I'm glad I did. As soon as you walked out onto the stage, I knew you were the one I'd been waiting for." I swirled the clear liquid around the glass, watching as the bubbles rose to the surface, remembering.

Just then, there was a knock on the door, and I rose to my feet. "That would be our dinner."

"Would you like some help?"

I shook my head, giving her a small smile. "No, but you can refill our glasses if you like."

She nodded, giving me a small smile. Obviously, seeing Nikoa again was unexpected and had unnerved her.

When I opened the door, Caesar was standing on the other side with a few members of the kitchen staff and a cart. "Shall we serve dinner for you?"

I shook my head, taking the cart myself. "No, thank you. I'll take it from here."

Caesar nodded toward the side. "We brought a bottle of champagne, too." His eyes twinkled as he leaned close and whispered, "Just in case there is cause for celebration."

"Thank you. How very thoughtful." I stood aside and let his assistant enter. He quickly placed the champagne in a champagne floor stand to the side of the table and darted out. "Thank you, Caesar. If I can ever do anything for you, just let me know."

"You already have." A smile lit his lips as he bowed slightly and disappeared down the hallway with his entourage.

"Well, it looks as if Caesar prepared us a feast tonight." I smiled as I set a cloche-covered platter on the table.

"Here. I'll help—"

"No, I've got it." I set another platter on the table. "You sit there and look beautiful." My eyes met hers and I winked.

A slight blush colored her cheeks. "So, how do you know Nikoa?"

I shrugged. "Nikoa and I have been friends for years. He's been the Alpha of the Stone Warrior Pack for more years than I could count." I set the last platter on the table, and Brenna helped me start taking off the cloches. "I'm surprised to hear that he was in negotiations with your father for your hand." I arched an eyebrow. "You told me there was no one special before me."

"There wasn't." She sighed, frowning. "Nikoa came to see my father one day, and we met. I thought nothing of it at the time. But later, my father told me that Nikoa was interested in taking me as his Mate. I refused, but Nikoa was persistent."

"I see." I nodded, letting out a deep breath. "You don't think he had anything to do with the attack on your Pack. Do you?"

Brenna slowly shook her head, mulling it over. "No, but it would explain why I had been the only one spared out of my whole Pack." She stood and started pacing, wringing her hands. "Adan, you don't think he had anything to do with it. Do you?"

I shook my head as I wrapped my arms around her waist. "No. If you had been spared for him, then Darius wouldn't have sold you in Fletcher's auction." Even though I didn't tell her as much, the whole thing didn't sit right with me either. But I'd known Nikoa for years and would lay odds that he'd never do anything like this.

Brenna nodded. "You're right." She laid her head gently against my chest. "I hope and pray he didn't have anything to do with my father's death and the attacks on both of our Packs." She lifted her head and her eyes met mine. "I'd kill him if I ever found out he did."

"Shush," I breathed against her hair. "I'm sure he had nothing to do with it, but I'll check it out."

Brenna nodded, looking up at me with trusting eyes. "We have to plan the attack on the Snow Warrior Pack. Darius can't be left to attack again. Also, he's drawing too much attention. All we need is for them to attack when the humans are here. Then the wolf would be out of the bag. There wouldn't be any more hiding it from the humans no matter how we tried to explain it."

I kissed the top of her head. "Let's not think of it tonight. As I said before, we have much to discuss." I pulled back and brushed a lock of hair away from her face. "But first, let's eat. I don't know about you, but I'm starving."

She chuckled, nodding. "We can always talk while we eat."

"That's the whole idea."

I led her back to the table, and Brenna helped me take the cloches off the platters, revealing beef tenderloin with skewered grilled shrimp, bacon-wrapped scallops, braised green beans, a Caesar Salad, and Vanilla Cream and Fruit Stuffed Crepes for dessert.

"Wow," Brenna gasped. "Everything looks great."

I raised my chin, my eyes meeting hers. "Yes, it does."

But I wasn't talking about the food.

***

A/N: So, what do you think will happen next?

I'll post more chapters on Wednesday. This book publishes every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Thanks for reading!