Chapter 56: A Blast from the Past

Brenna

Since I was meeting Adan at the memorial, I didn't want to dress up too much, even though we were dining together afterward. It felt strange to plan a special evening with Adan when there would be so many grieving families. But with the Blood Moon quickly approaching, our plans were just as important.

Not wanting to wear an evening gown, I dressed in a black wrap-around dress and heels and headed down the hall and into the elevator. The door opened a moment later, and I stepped outside. Jennifer, an older wolf that didn't look a day over twenty-five, handed me a candle when I walked out.

"Thanks, Jennifer."

"Everyone is waiting at the Standing Stones, including the Alpha." Jennifer gave me a weak smile.

"Jennifer, which families were affected?"

She let out a deep breath. "Samantha and her children lost Noel...." Altogether, a total of six families had lost loved ones.

"Thank you, Jennifer." I gave her arm a gentle squeeze. "I'll see them at the Standing Stones. Are you coming?"

She nodded, holding up the basket of candles. "In just a minute."

I gave her a reassuring smile and headed toward the Standing Stones. A sea of people led the way to the huge, circular stones.

Adan was speaking to a woman with three children, offering her comfort. Then he glanced over and saw me, gave the woman a hug, and motioned me over. Just then, a man stepped out from behind him, and I nearly fell over, for standing there was Nikoa Blaise.

"Brenna!" Nikoa's eyes flew open as he pushed through the crowd, headed straight for me. Before I could say anything, he lifted me off my feet and held me close. "Oh, thank God you're alive! I thought you were dead!"

"Nikoa," I replied, too shocked for words. "What are you doing here?"

"What is this?" Adan asked before he could reply, looking between us as a crease formed between his eyes.

"Nikoa used to visit our Pack before the attack—"

"I was negotiating with her father for her hand," Nikoa cut me off. A broad smile spread across his face as he took me in. "So, what are you doing here?"

"Adan is my Mate... or he will be."

Adan let out a deep breath. "We have much to discuss, but now isn't the time. We have a funeral to attend." His eyes met Nikoa's. "Do not leave before we've had a chance to talk."

Nikoa narrowed his eyes at Adan and nodded once.

Adan glanced over at me, his expression unreadable. Then he walked into the ring of stones where the bodies of ten warriors lay wrapped and bound in cloth and rope.

"We have gathered here tonight on behalf of our fallen warriors," Adan began, "to ask the Moon Goddess, Selene, to guide them safely to the Happy Hunting Grounds of our forefathers, where they will reside in peace in the Hereafter. Everyone, please bow your heads in prayer."

When everyone was ready, Jennifer lit one candle, and the flame traveled around the Pack, each person lighting their candle from the last as we stood at the edge of the stone circle.

Since the moon wasn't out, Adan stepped out of the Standing Stones and lifted his arms to the sky. "Oh, Great Moon Goddess, let your light guide the way for our fallen warriors as you lead them to the Hereafter to join our forefathers in the Happy Hunting Grounds."

Adan lifted a torch made of rags dipped in kerosine wrapped around the end of a thick stick. He held it toward Mason, and he lit it. The torch blazed, piercing the darkness of the night. Then he walked over to the wrapped bodies and lit each one.

"Oh Moon Goddess, to you do we commend the spirits of our fallen warriors." Adan lit each bundle. "Lead them to the Hereafter, where we will join them when our time comes."

Adan stepped out of the Standing Stones as the flames grew higher. Suddenly, a bright blue light came from the bundles and rushed into all seven stones. Then the streams of light joined as one in the center and shot straight up into the sky.

Ignoring Nikoa, I headed over to a mother, crying as she held her children. "I'm so sorry for your loss. If there's anything I can do—"

"Get them," she replied, her eyes stone. "I know I'm not supposed to want vengeance, but I do. Get the bastard who killed my Mate."

I nodded slowly. "We will."

She looked into my eyes, searching. For what, I didn't know. But she nodded once, having found what she was looking for. "Come along, children. Let's go home."

I recognized the eldest son. He was one of the young warriors I had worked with the in the practice field when we were attacked. He stared at me for a long moment, his fists clenched at his sides.

"I promise." I gently rubbed his arm as I looked into his eyes.

"Come along, Samuel," his mother said over her shoulder. "You're the man of the house now."

"Coming, Mom." Then he turned on his heel and quickly caught up to his mother.

"It's a shame," Nikoa said over my shoulder as he slid his arm around my waist.

I quickly pushed him away. "Let's get one thing straight, Nikoa. I'm not now, nor have I ever been, your Mate... chosen or otherwise. Adan is my Mate. Got it?"

He stared at me for a long moment. Then he took a step back as pain filled his eyes. "Loud and clear." He turned to Adan and gave him a manly pat on the arm. "You're a very lucky man. Call me if you need me." Then he turned back to me. "I'm glad to see you're alive. How you survived the attack is a miracle." Then he headed toward the front of the castle, and one of the guards retrieved his car.

"Come inside." Adan placed his hand on my back and guided me away. "We have much to discuss."

I looked over my shoulder and watched as the front gates opened. Then Nikola pulled out onto the street and was gone a moment later, leaving me to wonder what had just happened.

***

A/N: So, do you think this will cause a rift between Adan and Nikoa? Comment below and let me know. :-) 

Thanks for reading! More to come!