Chapter 55: Unexpected Visit

Brenna

"So, would you like me to help with the cleanup?" I knew there would be bodies to dispose of and a funeral to plan for the fallen warriors.

"No." Adan smiled as he raised my hand to his lips and kissed it, never taking his eyes from mine. "My men and I will take care of that. You just get ready for tonight."

I bit my lower lip. "And what of the fallen warriors?"

"We'll have a ceremony at sunset at the Standing Stones, commending their spirits to the care of the Moon Goddess." He tilted his head to the side. "I know it may seem callous for us to have a special evening tonight, but it can't wait." He let out a deep breath, thinking. "I'll tell you what. Let's dine in my suite tonight. I'll have Caesar bring up a special meal for us."

I nodded. "That sounds good. I don't want to neglect the warriors. They deserve better than that."

"Neglecting them is the farthest thing from my mind." A crease formed between his eyes. "What I do is always with the Pack in mind."

My smile faded. "Including me?"

He shook his head. "Let's talk tonight. I'll escort you downstairs for the ceremony, and then we'll talk."

"And the plans for retaliation against the Snow Warrior Pack?"

"We will meet with Mason tomorrow." A smile lit his lips. "But we have much to discuss tonight."

"Until then." I headed inside, hating that I wouldn't be part of the cleanup. But then again, maybe only the men were part of it here in this Pack. Also, I hated having to take time for us while so many people were grieving. If I hadn't pushed Adan away for so long, maybe things would be different now. But who could say?

***

Adan

After ensuring that Brenna was safely in her suite, I hurried into mine, dressed quickly in black pants, a black T-shirt, and boots. Then I rushed out and down the stairs, taking two at a time. The men would need all the help they could get.

Downstairs, Mason was dressed and waiting for me.

"Talk to me." I walked past him as he followed. I shoved the doors open leading outdoors. Bodies lay around the grounds. Luckily, only a few were ours.

"We lost ten."

I nodded once. "Take our fallen warriors to the Standing Stones."

"And the others?"

"Build a pyre, and I'll say a few words in just a bit." I let out a deep breath. "It's more than they deserve." Obviously, Darius Snow hadn't cared enough about his fallen comrades to take them with him.

"Aye." As Mason walked away, I looked over the grounds, assessing the damage.

Suddenly, the rumble of a car resonated in the courtyard as if pulled up to the front gate. I smirked, knowing exactly who it was. He had impeccable timing. I headed toward the gates, shaking my head. When I drew near, Nikoa Blaise, Alpha of the Stone Warrior Pack, was standing outside his Lamborghini, leaning against the doorframe.

"Too bad you didn't get here about an hour ago." I walked outside the gate and pulled him in for a manly hug.

He scoffed, frowning as he looked around. "Did I miss all the fun again?" Nikoa looked back at me, his eyes filled with concern. "What happened?"

"Come on in, and I'll tell you. You can help with the cleanup."

"Lucky me." He chuckled as he got into the car and started it.

"Where are your men?"

He let out a deep breath. "I'll send for them. I was only going to stay the night."

I shook my head. "No. I can handle this on my own."

He arched an eyebrow, assessing the damage. "Famous last words."

"We'll discuss it later." I nodded toward Wyatt as I passed. "Let him in."

"Yes, Boss!" Wyatt yelled after me, hitting the button to open the huge gates.

Nikoa pulled his Lamborghini inside and stopped before the castle. Then he tossed his keys to one of my men. "Take good care of it."

"Aye," my man replied and then carefully drove off in his car a moment later.

"I wish I would have known you were coming." I sighed, assessing the damage.

"It looks as if I arrived at a good time." Nikoa walked beside me. "I'll send for my men. We can't let this attack go unanswered."

"Later."

"But if you wait too long, then they'll strengthen their numbers—"

"Go home." I turned to face him. "I'm sorry, but we don't need to attract more attention from the humans right now."

"But this is war—"

"Yes, it is," I cut him off. "And I will handle it."

"How about this. I'll stay the night to do what I can." He stared at me for a long moment. "Adan, you're not alone. When you need me, I'll be there."

I nodded, clasping his shoulder. "Thank you. Now, if you're staying, let's get to work."

We spent the next few hours gathering and sorting the dead and Nikoa proved to be worth his weight in gold. We wrapped our dead in cloth and laid them in the center of the Standing Stones beside each other. The others, we laid together outside the stones. When we were ready, I folded my hands in front of me, along with the other warriors.

"Moon Goddess, please accept these fallen warriors of the Snow Warriors Pack. Please, do not judge them harshly." I straightened my head. "Even though they were attacking us, they were still warriors and were doing the will of their Alpha. Please welcome them into the Happy Hunting Grounds of their forefathers."

I gave the signal, and my men lit the pyre and purple smoke rose to the heavens, carrying the souls of the fallen warriors with it.

"Make sure the fire doesn't get out of control," I said to Mason. "Nikoa, come with me, and I'll show you to your room. I have plans for tonight, but you're welcome to stay as long as you like."

His head snapped up. "The Blood Moon is quickly approaching—"

"Which is why I'm surprised to see you here." I headed up the stairs, and he was right on my heels.

"I came to check on you." He skipped up the stairs behind me. "The Council had agreed to give you a year to find your Mate—"

"And I have." I stopped in front of his room, across the hallway from mine. "This is your room. I'm sorry, but you came at a bad time. Make yourself at home while you're here as my guest."

He stared into my eyes. "Adan, I truly want to help." He shrugged, giving me a sly smile. "After all, what are friends for?"

I let out a deep breath. "Come downstairs when you're ready."

Nikoa nodded. "I was only coming for a short visit. I'd heard from the humans that you had recently experienced some trouble with another Family. I didn't dream it was another Pack."

"My Mate and I were planning to dine privately tonight, but I'll have Caesar set everything up in the small conference room—"

"No," he cut me off. "I don't want to intrude. I'll leave after the ceremony tonight. Truth be told, there are preparations I must make at my Pack, but I came to check on you. With the losses you experienced, I doubt anyone will be in the mood to celebrate tonight."

I gave him a manly handshake, clasping his arm from elbow to wrist in the old way, then bumped his shoulder. "Thanks, man. Say goodbye before you leave."

"Oh, I will."

***

A/N: So, what do you think will happen next? This book is already finished on my Patreon, if you'd like to read ahead. Find the link in the bio. Thanks for reading!