Chapter 54: Love You Would Die For

Adan

"Everyone, sound off!" I yelled in the Pack Mind.

"Aye!" my warriors yelled at once.

But I couldn't take my eyes off Brenna. "Warriors, check the perimeter and make sure there are no stragglers! Take prisoners! I want to question them!"

"Aye!" Warriors scattered over the grounds, checking every square inch while some ran into the castle, changing into their human form first. No one was allowed in the castle in their wolf forms. Not even the Alpha.

"Mason, was the castle breached?"

"No, Alpha!" he yelled, already headed toward the doors in his wolf form. Shimmers ran over his body as he began to morph and change, pulling himself back together into his human form. He was standing in his human form by the time he got to the top of the stairs. One of the maids handed him a robe as he approached the doors.

Although nudity in the Pack was to be expected, entering the castle nude was a breach of etiquette. In the castle, everyone must wear clothes out of respect.

I turned to Brenna and smiled in the Pack Mind. "Shall we?"

She nodded, and we walked beside each other toward the huge glass doors. As Brenna walked up the stairs, her body shimmered as she pulled herself back together into her human form. By the time she reached the top, she was in her human form in all her gorgeous glory, her long brown hair waving over her shoulders and down her bare back.

The red haze with black edges appeared in my vision as shimmers ran over my body. At the top of the stairs, I reached for Brenna, and she took my hand. We headed into the castle together.

"Alpha." One of the maids bowed slightly as she handed me a robe.

"Thank you." I was going to give it to Brenna, but another maid handed her a robe, too.

"My Queen."

Once we were presentable, we headed up the stairs toward our suites.

"Brenna, I—"

"I know what you're going to say," she cut me off, "about putting myself in harm's way, but we were under attack, and I couldn't leave you—"

"I'm glad you didn't." I smiled, holding her hand as we walked up the stairs. "And what I was going to say was that I'm glad you stayed and fought by my side."

Her head snapped up as she listened.

"Watching you today with Mira and the young warriors...." We turned a corner and walked up another flight of stairs. "Then when we were attacked, you're proving yourself to be a great asset." I pulled her to a stop in front of her door.

"Is that all?" She arched an eyebrow.

A smile spread across my lips. "You're proving yourself to be a Queen." I lifted her hand to my lips and kissed it. "I would be honored to share responsibility of the Pack with you. However, I will still be the Alpha."

"Of course." She stepped close to me and wrapped her arms around my waist as she looked into my eyes. "I wouldn't have it any other way."

My lips descended upon hers as I pulled her to my chest. She opened for me, deepening the kiss, filling my heart with joy and love. My tongue swept over hers as passion filled us both. I laced my fingers through her wavy long brown hair, and I knew she was mine. Even though she hadn't said the words, she had surrendered her heart to me as my Mate. I pulled back a moment later and gave her one last sweet kiss.

"For a moment, you scared me today." I bit my lower lip. "I was afraid you were going to die, but then I saw you fight, and I knew that you were the Mate I'd always dreamed of—strong and willing to fight by my side for the good of the Pack."

She placed her hand on my cheek as she looked deeply into my eyes. "I'm not going anywhere." But her smile faded as she slowly lowered her hand. "I saw something today that made me think about love and life."

I tilted my head to the side. "And what was that?"

"Wolves were attacking, and I killed a woman." She sighed, shaking her head. "Another wolf wouldn't leave her side. Then he morphed back into his human form, and tears coursed down his cheeks. His eyes were filled with grief as he looked into my eyes and asked me—no begged me—to kill him, too. Instantly, I understood that they were Mates."

"So, what did you do?" My heart sank listening to the tale. I already knew, for it was what I would have done.

"I killed him, as he asked." She let out a slow, ragged breath. "But when he fell, he lay over her, and it was as if he was hugging her. They were Mates, and they both had died in battle, side by side." She let out a deep breath. "It was beautiful, albeit tragic. But they died with each other." A small smile lit her lips. "I guess that's what I want, too."

"You want to die in battle with your Mate?"

"Possibly." She shrugged. "But what I want most is to have that kind of love. To love someone so much that I couldn't survive without him." She bit her lower lip and released it. "Then I realized something."

"What's that?" My voice was husky with emotions as I listened.

She looked deeply into my eyes. "I realized I already have that... with you."

I slammed my lips into hers so hard that I nearly knocked her over, but I wrapped my arms around her, keeping her from falling. My heart swelled as I held her in my arms, never wanting this moment to end.

"I love you," I breathed when I let her up for air.

"I love you, too."

I wiped a tear from under her eye. I didn't know how much longer I could wait to claim her as my Mate, but I would. At that moment, I knew I would wait as long as it took... until she was ready. "After we clean everything up, will you dine with me tonight?"

"Aren't we going after the Arctic Wolves?" A crease formed between her eyes. "We need to plan—"

"Not tonight." I shook my head as I placed my hand on her cheek. "This night is ours."

Brenna nodded slowly. "What time shall I be ready?"

I raised an eyebrow. "Six o'clock?"

She nodded, a smile resting on her lips. "I'll be ready."

***

A/N: So, what do you think will happen next? Comment below to let me know! :-)