Chapter 53: Pride

Adan

Anger filled my body as I watched Brenna and Mira work with the young warriors. But then again, I had agreed to let her work with them, as long as she stayed out of harm's way in battle.

"So, are we going to work today or what?" Mason asked, bringing me from my reverie. "You know, you can't keep her under lock and key. She's a person—"

"Quiet!" I cut him off. "Everyone, line up! Pair up, and let's run some drills!"

Clasping my hands behind my back, I paced back and forth before the most advanced warriors in the Pack. However, I couldn't help but sneak peeks at Brenna.

Mira had paired off the young warriors, and Brenna was observing. As they started practicing, Brenna stepped in and offered suggestions to the young warriors on stance, attack skills, and blocking. It appeared that Brenna and Mira were working very well together. Brenna didn't try to take over but respected Mira for what she had done with her students.

From the look of it, Brenna was quite a skilled warrior. A natural. Whoever had trained her had done an excellent job. As I watched her, it was clear she could never just sit on the sidelines.

Maybe she was right. She would quickly become bored if she spent her life sheltered, and merely a figurehead. Also, she was skilled. Why shouldn't I use her skills for the good of the Pack? Would it be so bad to share power with her? For her rule by my side?

As she and Mira worked with them, the skills of the young warriors were becoming much better. I looked on as pride swelled my heart. She would be a good queen when the time comes.

"Earth to Alpha!" Mason yelled in my ear, bringing me back to the task at hand.

"Run it again!"

Everyone looked at me as if I had just lost my mind.

I bit my lower lip and released it. "I'm so sorry. I'm afraid I'm a bit distracted at present. What were you doing?"

"Sparing, as you said." Mason gave me a knowing smile.

"I had told you to run drills!" I let out a deep breath. "Well, then, what are you waiting for? Let me see you spar!"

"Aye!" they yelled in unison as I forced myself to focus on them and not my beautiful Mate.

"Breach!" Wyatt's piercing scream came from the gates.

My head snapped up, and warriors leaped over the walls—some in their wolf forms, others in their human states. And the majority of the wolves were white.

Arctic Wolves.

"Warriors, to your posts!" I yelled, running toward Brenna. "We're under attack!"

"Aye!" the Pack members yelled as everyone leaped into their wolf forms, their massive paws touching the ground in a dead run as they ran toward the attacking wolves.

Shimmers traveled down my spine as the familiar red haze with black edges appeared before my vision. As I leaped into the air and touched down on my four black paws, all I could think about was getting to Brenna in time.

***

Brenna

I was working with Mira and the young warriors when Adan started barking orders. My head snapped up, and wolves and humans were breaching the wall just like in my Pack. History was repeating itself.

"Young warriors, go inside... now!" I yelled. "Mira, go with them! Our job is to defend the inside of the castle! Ensure there is no breach!"

"Aye!" She ran off with the warriors, ensuring they all made it inside safely.

I was following closely behind when the huge white wolf leaped in front of me, cutting off my retreat. I didn't have my sword with me, so I had no choice but to fight in my wolf form.

Shimmers ran down my spine as the red haze with black edges appeared in my vision. I had lost to this bastard once before, and I wasn't going to lose again. Not this time. I leaped into the air, shredding my clothes as I touched down on my four silver paws in a dead run, headed straight for the enormous white Alpha. Suddenly, a giant black wolf jumped in front of me.

"Brenna, I'll take care of him," Adan's voice rang out in my mind. "You go inside!"

"I'm not leaving you!" I yelled in the Pack Mind.

"Then watch my six and make sure I'm not jumped from behind!" his voice rang out in my head. "I'm depending on you!"

"Got it!" I yelled, glad he was finally trusting me to fight by his side. It was my chance to show him what I could do.

A smaller white wolf jumped toward me, but I went low, and he flipped over my back. I stomped on his neck, crushing his throat as I ripped off his head. His body immediately returned to its human form as his head rolled to the side, his eyes fixed.

Three more white wolves jumped toward me.

"Warriors, protect the Alpha!" I yelled in the Pack Mind, slamming into one of the white wolves, who went flying off to the side. I shoved my muzzle into his chest and ripped out his heart.

"Aye!" the Pack yelled in unison in the Pack Mind.

Another wolf jumped me from behind, but I flipped her over my back and ripped out her throat. Her body immediately reverted to her human form, her long red hair drenched in blood.

I glanced over my shoulder, and Mason had taken down the third wolf. "Protect the Alpha!"

"Aye!" I yelled, standing on one side of Adan while Mason took his fighting stance on the other side.

Adan and the huge white wolf were in the heat of battle but were evenly matched.

Adan must have read many thoughts, for he suddenly growled, "No one interfere! He. Is. Mine!"

"Aye!" Mason and I yelled in unison.

Around us, the battle raged on, and it appeared that the Arctic wolves were losing.

Suddenly, a wolf leaped on me, but I threw him into another wolf that was headed toward me. I ripped out the throat of the advancing wolf, and she immediately turned into her human form. Blood gushed from her throat as she choked, drenching her long blonde hair.

Suddenly, the other wolf changed into his human form as he knelt beside the body of the woman and scooped her into his arms. "Kira, I love you. I'm so sorry." She reached up and touched his cheek, but her hand fell abruptly as she looked into his eyes. "Kira!" He looked up, and tears were running down his cheeks. "Kill me... please."

I understood. She was his Mate, and he didn't want to go on without her. I nodded. Then I shoved my muzzle into his chest and ripped his heart out. He fell limp across the body of his Mate in a fatal embrace. I was sure she was waiting for him, and they went to the Afterlife together.

The battle raged on around us when the massive Arctic Wolf suddenly took off running toward the wall. He must have sounded the retreat in their Pack Mind because the other warriors of his Pack retreated, too. One Pack shares one Pack Mind.

"Oh, no you don't!" Adan yelled in our Pack Mind, chasing after him. "This ends today!"

"Adan, no!" I yelled, and he froze as the other members of our Pack ran after them.

Adan turned back to me and raised his chin. But instead of being angry, his pride was prominent in his mind. But he wasn't proud of himself or even the Pack for having defeated the advancing Arctic Wolves. He was proud of me.

***

A/N: Whoa! What do you think of this chapter? Respond with an emoji!