Golden Lily

Her face radiated warmth and love. Feminine tenderness was etched deep in the fabrics of her skin. Her smile made the engines of my heart work faster and my brain slower. Her forehead was spotless with lines of dark strings of hair. Her eyebrows looked like dark smudges of perfect curves. Her eyes, doused with lush eyelashes blazed like a golden fire. Her nose looked like the masterpiece of a sculptor. Her full lips, pronounced by the light lipstick looked like they were made just for kissing, and they beckoned on me. When she moved, her hair swayed with the rhythm of a tree dancing slowly in the wind. Her lips were moving, forming words I didn't comprehend but whose sounds I hung on dearly. The brown knitted close-fitting gown blended in the chocolate-like colour that was her complexion and outlined the roundness of her full breasts. The broad hips emphasised the slender waist and made me want to hold them. She was a perfect African beauty.

Everything around me was blurred except her. We were in another world alone. No laws; no God; no contenders to our love. This was truly the 'lived happily ever after'. I hung on savouring and cherishing the moment when our lips would lock each other in a solemn momentous kiss with fireworks and heavenly witness that outrivaled that of the movies. The moment when I would hold her and look in her eyes and savour the smell of her skin which I'd remember forever.

I'd hold her soft hand and walk down the beach letting the waves bathe our feet, the sea shore sand to warm it, the wind to sway our clothes in breath-taking ecstasy while I watch the sun set on her face leaving the golden prints of a beautiful woman. . We would have a barbecue under the epic silence of the night with the moon as the only witness when I'll hold her hands and whisper 'I love you' in bliss as my soul danced to the strings of my heart she is playing and the wind re-echoing my voice.

Someone was nudging me seriously. Where did he come from? I thought we were alone, cherishing each other? He was determined to intrude on this graceful moment. I turned to face him and from the corner of my eyes, I saw Golden Lily walking away with stuff that looked like a pile of books in her hands. What was happening? Who are all these people rushing towards her increasing the pile of books in her hands? They are about to experience the wrath of a man scorned. Golden lily is mine and no one else and no one will discomfort her in my presence. I got angry and wanted to go and declare my claim to her as my mate when a thick heavy hand smacked me hard across the face. 'Chijioke, go and pass your test, the teacher is leaving'. Needless to say why I failed English in High School.