Lucky

Valkyrie lay on Skulduggery's sofa, reading a book, or trying at least. Her mind kept on straying to the day before, and the way they had danced in the gym, and the way Skulduggery held her, and the way he had buried his face in her hair.... Valkyrie shook her head and cursed her mind, forcing herself to process the words printed on the book she was reading. But she found herself humming Me and Mrs Jones to herself, and didn't realise until she had reached halfway through the song. She immediately stopped and put her hand over her eyes in frustration. Damnit, Val. You're enjoying these dance lessons way too much she thought.

Skulduggery sat in the kitchen, not really knowing why he was even there, since he couldn't eat in the first place. He felt a bit lost, in thought as well as real life. It was just dancing, wasn't it? It's not like they were doing anything inappropriate, although that's what it felt like. Skulduggery shook his head in confusion. Was what they were doing wrong? It was just dancing, after all. Or was it something more? Skulduggery metaphorically frowned. Was it just dancing? Tides of emotion crashed within him, worried that what they were doing was wrong, but at the same time enjoying it immensely. But then the guilt hit him, and he made a decision to discontinue the lessons. He knew there was only one way this would end, he couldn't allow himself fall for Valkyrie.

"Agh, screw it." Valkyrie said as she flung her book onto the coffee table in Skulduggery's lounge, and pulled out her earphones and connected them to her phone. She put them in and closed her eyes, letting the music calm her mind. Skulduggery then walked into the room, planning to tell her that the lessons would stop, but right at the doorway, he pulled back, not really wanting to stop them. He placed his head in his hands, rethinking it all. Why can't we just let it be? It's not hurting anyone. But Val.... I mean, why the hell would she fall for a 400 year old Skeleton? You're fooling yourself, Skul. She's never going to be yours. There's no point. Don't get yourself hurt.

Skulduggery stood at the doorway, gazing at Valkyrie, tides of emotions crashing against each other, each battling for the final decision. Skulduggery sighed and began to speak, just as Valkyrie cracked open an eye and saw him standing there, looking forlorn.

"Skul? You okay?" She asked, slightly confused at what he was doing there, standing in a doorway.

"Hm? Of course, Valkyrie. Everything is fine."

Valkyrie skeptically raised an eyebrow and stood up. She sauntered over to the skeleton, tilting her head as she got closer.

"You sure, Skul?"

"Mhmm, everything is fine...Just a tad tense, is all." He mumbled slightly at the last part.

"Tense? Maybe a little dancing will fix that~" And she grabbed his gloved hand and intertwined their fingers together. Skulduggery was glad that he wasn't able to blush, or his cheeks would be red at that moment.

"Um. Valkyrie-"

"Shhh. Today, I'm teaching you."

She reached for her phone and scrolled through her songs, searching for the perfect song. Her eyes curled at the edges when she found it, and pressed the play button. Guitar strumming filled the room, and Jason Mraz began singing:

Do you hear me talking to you?

Across the water? Across the deep, blue, ocean?

Under the open sky, oh my. Baby, I'm trying.

Valkyrie smiled as she guided Skulduggery's hand around her waist, and placed her hand on his shoulder. She lifted up his other hand and held it within hers, staring brilliantly into his skull.

"Valkyrie, I-"

"Just this time, let me guide you"

The tone of Valkyrie's voice banished any doubts from his mind, and he obediently obliged to her wish. Valkyrie grinned and began to sing along to the song, soothing Skulduggery's nerves instantly with her soft, sweet voice.

"Boy I hear you, in my dreams. I feel your whisper, across the sea,"

"Val-" Skulduggery started, but Valkyrie placed a finger to his teeth and continued.

"I keep you with me in my heart, you make it easier when life gets hard."

She told hold of Skulduggery's hand and began to move side to side, in time with the beat of the song.

"Lucky I'm in love with my best friend,

Lucky to have been where i have been,

lucky to be coming home again."

Skulduggery moved along with her, twirling her under his arm and pulling her close to him. He wrapped her arm around her and held her hand as they twirled along to the music.

Every time we say goodbye

I wish we had one more kiss

I'll wait for i promise you, i will

Valkyrie sang the chorus, but was surprised to hear Skulduggery singing along with her.

"Lucky I'm in love with my best friend," He sang, his velvet voice passionately showing how much he truly meant it.