Chapter 52: A Battle of Wills

Brenna

"I hope you know what you're doing." Magenta raised an eyebrow.

"He expects me to be the Pack Luna and Queen in name only without any real power." I shrugged. "I want more. My mother ruled beside my father and that's what I intend to do."

"Well, take care that you don't chase him away." She rose to her feet. "He won't wait long." She walked out, her long skirts billowing out behind her.

"A word of warning, Miss." Mason's voice was suddenly at my ear. "I wouldn't keep him waiting too long. The Blood Moon is swiftly approaching." He walked out into the hallway, too, before I could reply.

Since no one was there that I knew, I motioned for a waiter to come forward.

"Yes, My Queen?"

"Could you box this up for me, please?" I handed him my plate. "I can't eat another bite." In reality, my stomach was in knots. I hated this just as much as Adan and it took every bit of my willpower to stick to my guns.

A broad smile spread across his face. "I'll be right back with your food."

"Thank you." After he hurried away, I looked around the room, and all eyes were on me. I tried to avoid eye contact, but it appeared that no one liked that I was keeping Adan waiting. I rose to my feet as the waiter hurried from the back room.

"Here you go, My Queen!" He handed me a microwavable container.

"Thank you." I hurried out the door before anyone could say anything else to me. I stepped into the elevator, and the door opened on my floor a moment later. In my condo, I stashed my leftovers in the refrigerator when the adjoining door suddenly flew open, slamming hard against the wall.

"What in the world?"

Adan walked straight toward me, his eyes flaring a brilliant blue. He pinned me against the wall in the matter of a second. "Do not underestimate me. As I've said many times before, I'm not some lovesick schoolboy whose emotions you can trifle with."

He slammed his lips to mine, but I bit his lip so hard that it drew blood.

"Don't you ever do that to me again!" I donned my fighting stance, tasting his blood on my lips. "You want to play like that? Well, bring it on! But I will not be treated like a common whore!"

"I can have you any time I wish." He smirked, licking the blood off his lip.

"Think again!" I motioned him forward, ready to fight. But he laughed as he headed into his condo, slamming the door behind him.

I was so mad I was shaking, so I took a shower to calm myself. When I came out, wearing a robe and drying my hair, I heard voices coming from Adan's room. I listened closely, and a woman was giggling.

Unbridled rage filled my body as I barged through the door. Adan was sitting up, leaning back on the sofa without a shirt on, and a woman was straddling his lap, laughing as she kissed his neck and chest, and was going lower. She was wearing a teddy, and he was looking down at her bulging breasts.

"Get. Out!" I screamed, pointing toward the door.

Adan laughed, placing his arms behind his head. "What's the matter then, Brenna? You want to take her place?"

I ignored him, speaking only to the woman. "I said, get out before I kick your ass into next week!"

"You can try." She stood, placing her hand on her hip, clearly a dare.

"Don't tempt me." I took a step closer, my fists clenched at my sides. "I said, get out! This is your last warning, and then I'm throwing you out!"

She looked over at Adan, and he nodded. She brushed back strands of her long blonde hair, slipped a coat over her teddy, and walked out.