Chapter 51: Standoff

Brenna

"They're playing our song." Adan glanced over at me and smiled as he held out his hand. "Would you like to dance?"

"I'd love to," I replied, placing my hand in his. For an Alpha, he had such a gentle touch when he wanted to but was strong at other times. I had to admit. I'd never met anyone quite like him before.

On the dance floor, he placed one hand on my back and raised the other causing my heart to flutter. I took his hand and slid the other over his shoulder. He smiled as he curled my hand next to his chest, looking deeply into my eyes. As we swayed to the music, I knew I was falling more in love with him with each passing day.

But how could it possibly work out between us? He was just as stubborn as I was, but if we could find compromise and common ground, then maybe we could make this work, after all.

All too soon, the dance came to an end. We stopped and applauded, smiling as we looked into each other's eyes.

"Would you do me the honor of another dance?" He held his hand out to me, and I took it.

"I'd love to."

Adan pulled me close and leaned his head against mine as we swayed to the music. I found myself lost in a world all our own, wishing it could always be this way between us. He pulled back and looked into my eyes. The love prominent there filled me beyond all measure, and I knew he was mine. My Mate. The one I had been waiting for.

But I had to find it in me to hold out until the right time. I leaned my head onto his chest, listening to the beat of his heart until the song came to an end.

We danced the night away as people passed by, offering words of congratulations.

"Ready to go?" he asked at the end of the night.

I nodded as a smile lit my lips. "If we must."

A crease formed between his eyes. "We can stay a bit longer, if you like."

"No." I laughed. "I was only joking. Let's go."

He offered me his arm and led me from the main dining hall that had served as a ballroom.

In the elevator, he pulled me to his chest, gazing into my eyes. "You are so beautiful."

Blush colored my cheeks. "Thank you."

Soon, the doors opened, and he led me into the hallway and pulled me to a stop at my door. I unlocked it, but he stood in the doorway, not coming in.

"Have you given any more thought to my proposal?"

A smile lit my lips. "Have you given any more thought to treating me as an equal in the Pack?"

His smile vanished. "Brenna, you must understand. I am the Alpha—"

"And I am now the Pack Luna," I cut him off. "I refuse to be just a figurehead for this Pack."

He clenched his jaw as he nodded. "You would be Queen." His voice was husky with want.

"I want to rule by your side, second only to you, or I can't accept."

He bowed slightly. "Have a good night, Luna."

I nodded. "Thank you for tonight—"

But he walked into his room and closed the door before I could finish. My guards took their posts on either side outside my suite.

As I closed my door and locked it, I knew we were at a standoff. If we were going to move forward together, then we'd have to find a way to compromise soon, before it tears us both apart.

***

Adan

"What's the matter with you?" Mason asked the next day. "Everything went well last night, so I thought you'd be elated this morning. What's wrong?"

"Nothing."

I had been grumpy the whole day, thinking of what Brenna had said about giving her equal power, or recognizing her power. Then again, she said she would be second only to me. But I had never shared power with anyone in my life other than my father, and I wasn't about to start now.

"Well, I'm sure it's 'something.'" Mason nodded to the guards, and they opened the doors to the Main Dining Hall as we approached.

I stormed in and took my seat at the Head Table along with Mason. I looked around, but Brenna was nowhere to be seen.

Throughout the day, I purposefully avoided her. How could she want equal power as the Alpha? To make decisions for the Pack along with me? Even though her mother had made decisions for her Pack along with her father, I couldn't allow it. Mason was my Second in Command, and that was enough. I owed it to my Pack to protect them from everyone, including the Pack Luna, if necessary.

Caesar stepped out from the kitchen, and I nodded to him. Dinner was about to begin, yet there was still no sign of Brenna.

For a moment, I wondered if something had happened to her or if it was a mistake not to check on her today. Looking back over the day, I hadn't even seen her in passing.

I was about to go look for her when she walked through the door. My heart actually leaped when I saw her. Never had anything like that ever happened to me before. I smiled as I watched her approach, but instead of sitting at the Head Table with me, she sat at a table with Magenta, turning her back to me.

"Tonight, for your dining pleasure, we shall begin with Steak and Blue Cheese Bruschetta with Onion and Roasted Tomato," Caesar announced, happily clasping his hands. "Then, we shall have a nice Caesar Salad, not named after me."

Everyone laughed.

"Followed by our main course, Prime Rib Au Jus, a Baked Sweet Potato, and Green Beans in Bacon and Onion. Enjoy!"

Caesar walked back, and the waiters began serving our meals, bringing out plates filled with food. I stared at the back of Brenna's head, wondering when she was going to join me. If it hadn't been for the fact that I loved Prime Rib, I would have walked out.

"Here you go!" The waiter set a plate before me. I must have accidentally glared at him because his smile quickly faded, and he hurried to the next table.

"What is she doing?" I growled, stabbing my Prime Rib. I used so much force to cut my steak that I nearly broke the plate. Thank goodness, I didn't. The steak looked too good.

Mason sighed. "I'm not sure, Adan."

I nodded as I shoved a piece into my mouth and chewed, but it was flavorless. Not because of Caesar's cooking techniques but because everything seemed to lose its flavor when Brenna wasn't around.

Throughout the meal, she stayed with Magenta, talking to her. At least that much I could handle. If she had been talking to another man, I would have lost it.

Unable to take any more, I pushed abruptly away from the table and marched out, slamming the door against the wall as I pushed it open.

Two could play this game.

***

A/N: So, do you think Brenna will submit, or will they be each other's undoing?