Hasta Mañana

You woke up the same way you did last morning, chewing dry air while trying to get rid of the horrible taste of vodka spitting on the ground

Is today Thursday?  You took a deep breath, unable to open your eyes in the bright light hitting your face. Then you turned to face the sun, and felt something hard and uncomfortable under your cheek.

Out of the corner of your eye you saw a strange round shape, then you stood up sharply and saw a mummified orbit roll across the grass like a golf ball. You exclaimed, dragging yourself away, but soon calmed down and grabbed the piece of the corpse you had left on the ground last night.

You sat up straight, cracked your neck in pain and looked around for the rest of the corpse, but there was nothing there. Then you looked around for Louise.

"Louise?" You raised your voice, but got no answer. "Louise, where are you?"

Your first coherent thought was: "She must be in one of the tents with the corpse. She was probably sleepy and forgot one of the eyes."

And your second thought was that this observation didn't mean anything, because there were no tents ahead.

You took another look around, holding one of the eyes in your stiff hand. There were no craters, no tents, no claw rocks, no corpses... The only thing beside you was an eye, your heels, and an empty bottle of vodka.

Again you struggled to stand upright, leaning on your outstretched hands. Yes, you were definitely awake. You had no idea how long you had been asleep, how long you had been lying there unconscious in the middle of the forest. Quite a long time, judging by your cold, crumpled clothes. One of your numb legs started to tingle, and you stood up to stimulate the circulation. Touching your thighs with your hand, you felt a pattern of depressions and bulges etched into the flesh. You looked down and saw that the sharp fragments of gravel had torn through most of your pantyhose.

"Louise!" You shouted louder, feeling your throat tighten. "Where the hell are you?"

Standing up, you started to feel a little better. The weakness in your arms and legs began to fade, along with the tired and torn feeling in your mind. You kept the eye of the corpse in your jacket pocket and carried the bottle of vodka with you as you walked around. Indeed, the tents that were there the night before had disappeared along with the rest of the corpse and your friend.

You couldn't tell if you really lost consciousness, but you definitely had no idea of yourself for a while, until you stumbled over a rock, sliding down the gentle hill you had climbed last night. You felt sick, dizzy and beaten, as if you had been tossed back and forth over crashing waves on a rocky beach. You fell into a thick bush, dragging yourself to an oak tree and leaning against one of them for balance.

"Louise!"

You kept calling out, but there was no answer. The whole forest looked different, the pattern of the trees was different, and even the road looked less polished. You staggered to the fork where your car was, adding it to the list of things that had disappeared, along with the rotten tree you had down last night.