The Way Old Friends Do

Start from the beginning

''Hmm... let me see...''

You both got into the car and closed the doors together. Louise unfolded the map and stared at it as she ran her hand through her hair, which reflected a coppery sheen in the interior light of the car, her eyes fixed on the paper, where the lines of the map seemed to contort like snakes, mocking you both, forked tongues waving between the names of the highways.

''We're here.'' She indicated on the map.

"Are we still in Maryland?''

''Yes, but five miles and we'll be in Delaware...'' She said, sighing with boredom, while you stepped on the gas. ''If we take the Delaware Memorial Bridge we'll be there in about two hours.''

"Two hours...'' You muttered, looking directly at the road. "And what time is it?''

"Two o'clock.''

"Geez... let's get there before dawn. Are you sleepy?''

''Not at all. And I'm not sleeping in this place either.''

"But I am. Is there any coffee left?''

"If you want we can stop at a gas station for you to rest. But yes, there's still coffee left, but it's cold.''

"Give me the coffee, we'll get to New Jersey as soon as possible. And please don't get me wet again.''

The trip continued for hours on end, with the vehicle traveling the straight and winding roads with relative ease. The surrounding landscape was constant, with small, imperceptible changes. Sometimes a luxuriant cluster of eucalyptus would be replaced by a large motel or a gas station. If you were lucky, would see a few serene streams crossing the way.

From time to time, it was possible to turn on the radio and tune in to some of the songs that were lulling the journey, providing a pleasant and relaxed atmosphere that at one point prompted Louise to sing Can't Take My Eyes of You from beginning to end. However, for much of the journey, silence reigned, interrupted only by the roar of the engine and the sound of tires against the asphalt.

Despite this, there was a sense of tranquility in the air - an expectation of peace and rest after a long trip. The weariness of the journey was palpable, but a certain excitement was also evident in you and your friend, a feeling that something new and exciting was about to happen.

It was as if the journey was only a prelude to the real goal.

The feeling of arriving at your destination was like a balm for the soul, a comfort for travelers who longed for rest and rejuvenation.

After all, no matter how long and tiring the journey is, it is the arrival at the destination that makes it all worthwhile. And with this expectation in mind, the journey continued, taking the two of you toward your next destination and what the future had in store for you.

At one point, a few minutes before reaching the place marked on the map, you passed through a street called Bulltown, with a narrow fork of gravel. You were in the middle of nowhere, surrounded by red oak and white pine trees, and at the moment your greatest fear was that you might see some ghost in the middle of the noisy road.

Luckily, however, Louise had distracted you by teaching you to sing a song that she thought was appropriate for the moment.

''Ezekiel connected dem dry bones...'' She hummed.

''Now I hear the word of the Lord.'' You added.

This time, she had sung this song long enough for you to memorize it and be able to sing along with her, both of you replacing the car radio.