Everyone's Worth Saving

Start from the beginning

Her unease worsened Koharu's as she had always viewed 1235 as the strongest of them there. She always was so cheerful, calm and collected. She always knew what she had to do. Knew where to look. Knew what to touch and what not to touch. She was Koharu's ankor in this hellhole and to see her panicking made Koharu's nerves rise it was unbelievable. It was unbearable and when they were finally taken to their dorms and chained to the floor the entire room fell into silence straight away.
Koharu and 1235 weren't the only one's under threat that night...all of them were and they knew that they could do nothing. But wait. And wait... some of the children fell asleep as proven by the light breaths but the majority were awake throughout the night. Small whimpers could be heard and Koharu was tense as she clutched onto her cover, with her eyes screwed shut. Her heart caught in her chest as the doors were heard opening. The entire room stilled and the silence was deafening. Numerous footsteps were heard as the adults walked into the room. Koharu tensed her breathing caught in her throat as she heard sounds of a struggle and chains clanging loudly on the ground. This came from all direction and she bit back a scream as a child behind her cried out in terror. But before she could let out her own terrified shriek silence overcame the room once more. The darkness enveloped them.

The children stayed silent. The sobs were no longer heard as they collectively mourned the loss of their peers and thanked the gods for their own survival. In a world that the quirkless lived in, it was the survival of the fittest and soon they would learn to abandon empathy to keep themselves safe. After all, human attachments were a weakness. It would hinder their abilities and distract them from the task at hand. Section 123 lost five children that night and by the time morning had came, the children refused to look at the empty futons and the abandoned chains. They chose to forget what they could never forgive. After all the Quirkless were worthless and in Delta were merely pawns for the higher powers. They were no longer human, they were less than that. Koharu had to learn that or she would pay in the end.

She hit the floor with a loud hiss, quickly rolling away from the following attach that 1242  had sent her way. The baton hitting the ground with a loud smack. Koharu got to her feet glaring ahead at the boy infront of her, gripping onto her own baton tightly. She swiped at her bloody lip and prepared herself to move forward. 1242 glared back at her, hunching slightly and with a yell lunged for her again. Koharu dodged this time around. Looking around at her assailant. He huffed out in frustration. Whipping his hair out of his face. 1235 and 1241 watched the battle transfixed waiting for their own turns in the ring.
"Stop dodging, damnit..." She didn't respond whilst 1242 was a vocal fighter she was not. She preferred to attack silently, it kept her opponents guessing and also helped her within the intimidation factor. She tilted her head to the side instead, slightly mockingly. She wanted to rile him up. Each and everyone of them had flaws. Delta had made sure of that... in a case of a rebellious streak the adults would use these weaknesses to their advantage.... with Koharu it was the ability to swim and with 1242 it was his ability to keep control of his emotions.

Delta were master manipulators...They created scenarios and they failed to give the proper help to people which in the end made their conditions worse. They would then use these weaknesses go their advantages to control them. They were aware that the subjects of Project Delta were dangerous after 3 years of training, which is why they implemented these weaknesses. It was all about control.

Koharu slid between his legs as he charged at her with a angry yell. She glanced back up at him. Finally descides to go on the offensive. She hit his ankles hard with her baton. He yelped out in shock. Koharu frowned rolling her eyes. Lesson One: Never lose sight of your opponent. She got to her knees and hit his midriff as he went down. Placing the baton onto his chest. The two of them glaring at each other. He glared heatedly up at her and she eventually released him from her hold. Passing her baton to 1235. The white haired grinned at her. Patting her shoulder.
"Good win." Koharu grinned brightly as she stood to the side deciding to take care of her busted lip. 1242 was turned away from her glaring at the ground as he rubbed at his sore body. Koharu didn't hold any sympathy. They had been in the facility for nearly three years now and the ten year old only really cared for 1235. They had established a relationship early on and Koharu still leaned onto her for support. She was still her safe line, and Koharu was sure she always will be. She watched the fight between the two. Her face stoic. But her eyes watched 1235's every movement. She was one to learn from. She was one of the best... Koharu was lucky to have befriended her earlier on...She really was.

The fight finished with victory for 1235, however 1241 had gotten close, 1235 congratulated him and praised his good work whilst also giving him pointed a that he took in readily. Koharu watched the interaction interested. 1235 was always like that...Whilst everyone else had stopped caring it was obvious she still did. She still looked out for their peers. Koharu didn't know how she felt about that...She had done the same for her when she was still a scared little girl and now she was helping everyone else survive. Koharu knew that one of the reasons she wasn't a top student was because of her aiding the others...She allowed them to keep up. Koharu didn't understand why? The top in the class would earn their name first...and once you earned your name...you earned a small bit of freedom. Koharu couldn't understand why 1235 would not take that...why does she insist on helping others?
"It's the right thing to do...Besides...it makes me feel better when I know they have a chance for survival..."
"What about you?"
"Me? If I could go out protecting those I love...I would be satisfied."
"But why? What makes them worth it? They're going to die anyways."
"1249...I didn't leave you did I?"
"...no...and I'm thankful for that!"
"Precisely. I saved you, I can save them too."
"Are they worth it though?"
"Everyone's worth saving."