TRICK OR TREAT, FREAK

Mulai dari awal

“Look, all I’m sayin’ is that the party could be a good idea,” Hopper defended himself with a quick smile back at her. “Just listen to your ol’ uncle, okay?”

“I’ll think about it,” Charlie reasoned, leaning back in her chair as she took the first bite of toast. She had thought about going to the party. And, no, it wasn’t just because Nancy wanted her to, but she had to admit that had played a big part in deciding. Charlie hated that she couldn’t control what she was feeling, she hated that she wasn’t… normal. That even if she did tell Nancy — not that she would ever — she’d lose her.

Charlie took a breath, picking up her fork again and took another bite of her breakfast. However, as she leaned back, her eyes caught sight of a bright flash of white pass by. Her toast got stuck in her throat, the girl’s face turning a deep red as she fell into a coughing fit. At the sound of Charlie struggling, Hopper turned around from the stove, only to find the same white sheet ghost standing in front of him.

“Oh, Jesus!” Hopper exclaimed, nearly dropping the spatula in his hand.

“Ghost,” Eleven spoke simply from underneath it. Charlie managed to pull herself out of her previous shock, swallowing the piece of toast with a wince, taking another gulp of orange juice.

“Sure is,” Charlie agreed, her voice strained.

“Halloween,” Eleven spoke one word again, glancing between Hopper and Charlie as the man pushed the next couple pieces of french toast on his and El’s plates.

“Mhm,” Hopper hummed. “But right now, it’s breakfast, okay? See how you nearly killed Charlie?”

Eleven let out a small sigh. “They wouldn’t see me.”

Charlie’s eyebrow raised, turning on her chair to face El over the back of it. “Who are you talking about?”

“The bad men,” Eleven replied as if the answer was easy.

“What are you talking about?” Hopper questioned as he placed the two plates down in his place and Eleven’s, the man taking his seat.

Eleven didn’t pay attention to breakfast, instead walking up to the dining table. “Trick or treat.”

“You want to go trick-or-treating?” Hopper scoffed. Charlie lowered her head quickly, trying not to get involved. The topic of Eleven leaving the cabin had been talked about multiple times, and none of those times ended well.

Eleven nodded eagerly to his question.

“You know the rules,” Hopper responded, getting back up from his seat.

“Yes, but—”

“Yeah, so you know the answer,” Hopper interrupted, taking the girl by the shoulders, pushing her gently to her seat.

“No, but Lottie could take me,” Eleven reasoned.

“No. Hey. I don’t care.”

“But I’d be safe.”

“I don’t care, alright?” Hopper cut across her finally. “You go out there, with Charlie or not, in a costume or not, it’s a risk. We don’t take risks. Alright? They’re stupid, and…”

“We’re not stupid!” Eleven replied through gritted teeth, obviously upset.

“Exactly,” Hopper said. “Now, you take that off, sit down and eat. Your food’s getting cold and Charlie’ll eat if you don’t.”

“I will,” Charlie added, already nearly finished with her own plate. She’d decided the conversation had gotten to a safe enough point that she could give her input.