002●Ceremony

"I love you."

"I love you more."

"Impossible."

Paul and Athena stood side by side as a large spaceship starts to land in front of them. Paul, despite much whining and complaining, was wearing his ceremonial uniform, a black suit and a high collar. Athena was wearing a veil, similar to the one that Lady Jessica had donned, but this one covered her face. Her entire outfit was a dark grey, her veil trailed down to her knees, where it blended into her loose pants. Paul and Athena were an imposing couple. 

The large Imperial spaceships door opened and a phalanx of ambassadors trailed out, led by a formal man carrying a large scroll. They walked towards the podium on which Paul, Athena, Duke Leto, Lady Jessica, Thurfir Hawat, and Gurney Halleck were standing. 

"Smile, Gurney." Duke Leto whispered, his eyes till forward, his mouth barely moving. 

"I am smiling," Gurney said, his face stoic and blank. 

Athena and Paul looked at each other out of the corners of their eyes and stifled smiles. Duke Leto also cracked grin, before they all snapped back to business mode. The procession in front of them continued their long and slow walk. 

"How much would a trip like this cost?" Duke Leto asked. Thurfir Hawat's brain immediately started working in overtime. 

"Three Guild Navigators, fifty-two parsecs, figure a hundred and forty decagrams of spice, a total of one-point-four-six million solaris, round-trip." He said, his eyes rolled back in his head. Duke Leto sighed, what an absurd amount of money.

Athena surveyed the procession. A women in dark robes, a veil obscuring her face. Bene Gesserit. She looked over at Lady Jessica so see if she noticed, but Lady Jessica had a blank face. She knew what was going to happen. 

The man at the head of the procession stopped and begins a long winded speech, "By the grace of Shaddam IV of House Corrino, Ascendant to the Golden Lion Throne and Padisha Emperor of the Known Universe, I stand before you as Herald of the Change." Athena scoffed lightly in her head. So much formality for something that has already been decided. 

"We are witnessed by members of the imperial court, representatives of the Spacing Guild, and a sister of the Bene Gesserit." The man motioned to the people around him and the sister looks up at the the podium, making eye contact with Athena and Lady Jessica in turn. She was not only here for the signing, she was here for something she views as much more important. 

"House Atreides is one of oldest and most respected members of the Landsraad. In the wake of the failure of House Harkonnen, the other Great Houses have turned to you in hope. Shaddam IV agrees." House Harkonnen. The House that held Arrakis before. Rumors circled that they had ravaged the lands, caring about nothing but power and spice. Athena loathed them. 

The man unfurled his scroll, "House Atreides will immediately take control of Arrakis and serve as its steward. Do you accept?" 

Duke Leto stepped forward, sturdy and ready, "For centuries, House Atreides has stood for honor. Not only for itself, but for the benefit of all. Now the Emperor gives us his unconditional trust. He wants us to bring peace on Arrakis!"