TheTravellersloft

Our first featured author is Vann, an exciting new voice in urban fantasy. Her debut novel, Dangerous Diabolical: Book 1(Iridescent), blends urban and fantastical elements to create a thrilling world of magic and mystery. Join us as we explore her unique style of storytelling and journey as a writer.

What inspired you to become a writer? When did you first start writing?

For those that take a nose on my account, I've somehow managed to exist here since 2012, when I was extremely young and wrote an exceptionally terrible story which will never again make the light of day. This then led to the longest hiatus in history Wattpad (unconfirmed) before I logged back into my account last year.

However, I've always existed in much of a daydream and have been lucky enough to work in media bringing stories to life through animation & concept art. My writing has mainly existed through drawing: bringing ideas to life in a slightly different way! My current series, beginning with 'Dangerous, Diabolical' has been in the works since 2020.

How would you describe your writing style and voice? What sets it apart from other writers in your genre?

Apparently, I'm funny? Additionally, I aim to be terribly blunt. Life isn't perfect; it's tough, we often work hard for little reward and can't avoid bad outcomes. I find it's often about the little things that make your day!

Having grown quite fed up with always seeing the day get saved by a hero, I wanted to reflect this in my writing. Offering a spin on a world similar to our own with supernatural elements, all my characters tread a morally grey line through the eyes of an unreliable narrator. I want readers to enjoy questioning why they love and support my character Andy when she's very, very bad. Balancing this with some light-hearted wit, I'm aiming for it to be one hell of a ride!

What do you believe are the most important elements of a successful story?

Personally, I think it's a book you can't put down. If you do, your mind wonders back to it, and you try to guess what happens next. Maybe it's just me, but I often do this with my own story too when I haven't had chance to write that day!

Some aspects of a good story are a no-brainer - good clean writing is a must, hence why having people read and comment on Wattpad is invaluable. Having a relatable main character and a plot keeping people wondering what's next in a believable world is something I'm always aiming for.

Most of all, every story has a relationship; whether romantic, sibling, or adoration of a pet to name a few. Unlocking how the relationship develops often drives the plot as much as the main storyline. Humans are social, despite our best efforts not to be, and that's something we always feel a connection with when reading a story.

Can you discuss a time when you received constructive criticism about your writing, and how you incorporated it into your work?

To the annoyance of my book clubs (sorry all!), I was recently told by two honest readers that I didn't need my prologue. But I loved it – it introduced my main character, where she worked, and a really cool supernatural creature - it would tie in well with things later in my plot.

The feedback [condensed]: 'Why is chapter 1 not the first chapter? It's so much more fun – I'm hooked!'

After the first time, I didn't think much of it, dismissing it as a personal preference from the random voice on the internet. The second time I took note and spent time reviewing where the information might fit in other chapters. It turned out, all the information was already there! The readers were right; it was pointless. The chapter got cut and I think my book is stronger for it!