Four

When your worst fear comes raining down to haunt you, what would you do?

It’s as if the sky above me and the land beneath me came crumbling down together, crushing me in its entirety. It was traumatizing. It was pure terror. That’s what I felt seeing Muichiro barely breathing, full of blood, and swarmed with maggots and flies.

What happened…?

My feet were glued shut to the ground, I felt like throwing up, I wanted to scream. I couldn’t wrap my head around the scene unfolding right in front of me. There was no rational, logical explanation that I could think about. I was afraid. I didn’t know what to do. Was I still sleeping? This probably is a nightmare, god knows how much I hoped it was.

But no matter how much we beg for mercy, the reality will remain as the reality. There was no magic nor miracle that would happen if I just stood there. My tears fell as I  came to, finding whatever strength, courage, or whatever I could muster from inside me to do something, to do everything I could. I screamed, I shouted, I cried. I tried to think, to come up with a solution. I thought about what medicines , or herbs , or wound dressing I needed, the manpower I needed, the help I desperately had to find.

I ran, and I ran, and I ran until I saw people come into the frame. I wasted no time and begged them for help. That’s when I recognized the lady, Amane-san, together with two other people.

“Ma’am, please I beg of you, help me. I need, uh, help please… are there other people there? We need to help my friend!” I cried hard. I tried to find what words I should say, what I could say. I dragged her and ran back to Mui’s home as fast as I could. She was surprised but I didn’t care. I never looked back and the only thing visible on my mind was to bring her to the twins.

Once she saw them, the three went to work. I tried helping with what I could too, no matter how shaken I was seeing red all over. We worked and worked until we'd patched up what we could. I didn’t have the time to register everything, until I realized that they were taking Mui away.

“Wait! Where are you taking him? Stop!” I shouted and the white-haired lady told the two other girls to stop before she faced me. Despite my question, I figured out what was happening. Mui and I talked about this, about the Demon Slayer Corps, if he’s gonna go away or not. I knew this was for the better. He has no family left, and they can heal him there. I just couldn’t stop myself from speaking. I was selfish for doing that, but if I didn’t speak now, I wouldn’t see him ever again.

“Are you Makoto Kyogoku?” Amane asked and I nodded. I wanted to bombard her with more questions but my throat keeps getting stuck with words too profound, I couldn’t find a way to express them. I felt torn. I can’t see my best friend be taken away from me, but I can’t sacrifice his life over me either.

“Please take me with you.” Was all I could say. She looked surprised, and I was too. What was I doing? I have my mom to come home to… but these five words just came out on their own. I was surprised, but I have no intention of taking it back.

I’m sorry, Mom.

“Are you sure about this, Makoto-san?” She asked for one last time and with determination in my eyes, I nodded. She ushered me to come near her and to follow them on their way, and even if I were afraid, once I took the first step, there was no looking back. I was gonna be there beside Mui, before, now, and for tomorrows to come. I promised, and I will never break it.