Chapter 38 | Bravery Is Not Without Fear

Start from the beginning

For the first time, Jim wanted to argue with the girl and was tempted to pick her up and throw her over his shoulder just to take her to the hospital. But of course, she was right about what she said. How else would they explain this to his mom? And he'd rather have her treated right away than argue while she bled even more.

Jim releases a frustrated sigh as he runs a hand through his hair, messing it before replying. "Alright. How do we get you to Trollmarket quickly?"

"I can teleport myself there," Liz said. Her response met with silence until Toby burst out laughing. "Ha, hilarious, Liz. As if you can."

"You can teleport there too?" Jim asked Liz, causing Toby to look at him, confused by his friend's serious tone as if he actually believed it. "Uh...am I missing something here?"

"Liz can do magic," Jim admitted to Toby, causing his friend to gasp aloud. "Say, whaaaat? No way! Really? Is that true? Are you some kind of magician or something?"

"It's true, and I'm a witch. So be careful, or else I'll put a spell on you," Liz joked playfully with a grin, only for it to turn into a painful wince. "Love to explain more, but I'm bleeding out and need to go to the alleyway."

The witch guardian pointed her finger to an alleyway down the street from where they were.

"Why do you need to go there? Can't you just teleport now from here?" Jim asked, helping her up from the ground with Toby's assistance. Liz shook her head. "Wish it was that easy, but even magic has its limits. I can go anywhere if it has a teleportation circle, and one is in the alleyway nearby."

"So you're telling me there's a teleportation circle we could have used to get to Trollmarket this whole time?!" Toby exclaimed. Liz chuckled but instantly regretted it as a sharp pain pierced through her shoulder, making her pause. Biting back a groan, she replies. "I-It's only accessible to those who can wield magic. Witches and wizards only."

"So there are others?" Jim asked as the three walked down the street.

"Yes, but they're rather private, preferring to blend in with the humans than to draw attention to themselves. Less trouble that way."

"Doesn't sound like you at all," Jim said as they entered the barren alleyway. Liz smiled at his comment. "That's because of you, Trollhunter. Wherever you are, trouble follows."

"Ha, I'll say," Toby added. The trollhunter softly grins. "Then, it's a good thing that I have you and Toby. Without you guys, I don't know where I'll be."

"Most likely dead in the sewers. That's a terrible way to go, dude." Toby replied before looking around the alleyway curiously. "Now, where's that circle you're talking about, Liz? I don't see anything."

"That's because you need the sight. It only reveals itself to others when activated." The witch explained, casting her gaze towards one particular spot on the ground, a teleportation circle hidden in plain sight. With a wave of her hand, a flash of cyan revealed a glowing circle with symbols foreign to human eyes.

"Whoa," Jim gaped in wonder while Toby smiled with glee. "Awesomesauce."

Liz smiled. "You ain't seen nothin' yet."

Fandom Question: If you were a witch/wizard, would you use a staff or a wand?

Please don't forget to vote or comment if you liked this chapter. I would love to hear what you all think. Happy reading!

- Miss_Nightingale