The truth behind Blank Check!

Start from the beginning

"Excuse me Mr. Martinez you might be thinking me not an important person to interfere in Jazmine's life but I considered her my own niece. And you can't come just like that and put the wedding proposal. And the wedding is a huge thing."

"I value and respect your presence in her life, sir. I know how important she is to you and you are to her." It did impress Kushwanth widely and deeply. "I understand, a wedding is a huge thing and I even know that it's not a joke that you will give your daughter to any stranger. But sir, I can prove to you and assure you that I will be the best husband for her. I will try to be the best for her. I know what she has been going through since her mom's death. Aliyah did say me everything and I even value Miss Garcia's hard work and spirituality to adapt to a responsibility at a very young age. I only want to fill the empty space she has in her life by being an understanding and caring life partner."

Victor's eyes fell on Adrian's watch. His shoes, his sunglasses. He is rich. A millionaire too. What if Jazmine doesn't give him money but her going to be a husband?

"But why only Jazmine?" Kushwanth probed him still not satisfied with his response, after all, Jazmine is still a little girl to him. "You are a rich man you will have any woman from your community."

"Yes, I can but I can't find...Jazmine." Pronouncing her name made him feel courageous about his words. "You saw her growing old. You know what her feelings and ethics are. And you know why I came here today was to get a wife. A wife who has the strength to stand with me, in my happiness or sadness, my success and failure, if I am healthy or sick. Why do I only want to marry your niece but not the women who wear expensive dresses and value the brand handbags and cars, because I know Jazmine values only humans and relationships?

Kushwanth was never impressed with any person till now in the first meeting he got with Adrian. All he thought was the happiness of Jazmine. She really worked like a shit day and night to take care of her father and even her studies. Now she really needs someone who should value her presence in his life. And Adrian seems to be the man.

"Did you meet her?"

Adrian stared at him. He never met her but he used to stalk her. He saw her for the foremost time in Morning Cafe which was three years ago. He didn't know that she is Jazmine her little sister's best friend until Ali showed him her on their convocation day. Which was exactly a month ago. 

"No. Not yet," He whispered.

"We can not say anything to you now. It's better if you met with Jazmine personally and her decision will be the final."

"I am fine with it..." Victor voiced and Kush glared at him. "But Jazmine is my only daughter and I wished to celebrate her wedding grantly."

"Of course, it will be a grand wedding," assuring him, Adrian beamed.

"But as a father, I had a few wishes which I wanted to fulfill but I couldn't." He acted overtly. "I..." He lowered his head. "Have nothing left to even buy a wedding dress for my daughter."

Adrian saw the sad statue of Victor and immediately took out his checkbook from his coat's inner pocket.

He just signed one check and handed him. "This is the blank check."

"No. I can't..."

"Please I insist, sir. She is gonna be my wife. Every penny I earn will be hers. And I really wish her father to fulfill all his dreams with his only daughter's wedding."

Victor took it. Adrian took his leave and walked out exchanging their farewell.

"Why did you do that, Victor?" Kushwanth demanded as soon as Adrian left. "Jazmine will not accept this."

"She will!"

"You didn't get to understand her, did you? She will not agree with you. She hadn't asked for money even from me even when there was a critical stage in her life. She is particular with her respect and esteem. How could you forget that and accept that check?"

It scared Victor as he imagined how antagonistic she will respond about the check. So he thought to hide it for now below the flower vase on the dining table.

**** 

After Jazmine arrived home, she went to the kitchen, cleaned her hands, and next filled a glass with water. While placing the glass on the table, her eyes landed on a small rectangular paper that was hidden under the vase.

She pulled it and discovered it to be a cheque. A blank cheque was signed under the name... No, It can't be.

She darted her gaze at her father, "What is this cheque doing here?"

His eyes widened with surprise. "Hmm...Jazmine," His eyes landed on the cheque then shifted to her. Even though he worked hard to hide it, she ruled out that he is scared of something. She hope he didn't create any mess which has already disesteemed her. "Aliyah's brother came this morning." 

"Adrian..." She wet her lips, "Aliyah's elder brother, you mean?" She probed and he nod his head. And then it confirmed the signature on the cheque is of Adrian Martinez. "What did he say to you?"

"He put forward a proposal to marry you." 

"Did you give him any confirmation?" She queried.

"N-no I d-didn't" he stammered.

"So, what this Cheque is doing here?" She pondered for a second. Her father can seize any low-level to make his hands filthy for money. "Don't tell me, Father, you asked him for money," She demanded, leaning over him.

"No. No. Dear. Why would I ask him!?" She glanced at Uncle Kushwanth, to confirm her father's words.

But before he opened his mouth Victor continued with a fib, "Actually, I... I said to him that I can't leave without my daughter," She raised her brow, having no intention of believing his unbelievable fact about her. "It's true Jazmine. Then he assumed that you are the only earning person which is why I disagreed. So, he gave me a blank check in exchange for you marrying him and–"

"And you took it," She asked with a blunt pang in her heart. Her eyes were ready to shed tears. Her hurt was dual. The image I built about Adrian is not what I considered. A kind, generous, courteous, affable, and, and, and. Well, the second reason was my dad accepting the cheque.

"No. No. I said I will not take but he kept it there forcibly and left. I know you don't want to marry anyone. That's the reason I refused."

"So." she crumbled that cheque in her fist. "He put my rate in front of you. And you just let him go without giving him an accurate answer, Father!" at this stage, she was screaming out with fury and even hurt more than the fear of losing her esteem.

"H-he is rich. I had no guts to..." He cut off.

"But. I have," she replied.

"Jazmine, where are you going?"

"To confront him, Uncle Kush!" she replied, strolling to the living hall, grabbing her sling bag, and walking out.

"Jazmine, don't..." Before she could hear him, she walked out of my house already.

"Why did you lie to her?"  

"I was scared." Was all he replied without giving a thought that his stupidity can exasperatedly hurt Jazmine in the coming days  

*****

Author's note:

I wanted you all to know what actually happened that night. So, this was the actual truth behind the Blank check. Share your views and don't forget to vote.