Chapter 49: Moon Goddess

Brenna

Watching the clock, I counted down the seconds until the clock struck seven. Butterflies beat their wings against the inside of my stomach, knowing this was it. I reached for the door, when someone knocked on the other side.

I opened it and gasped. For standing on the other side was Adan, dressed in a black tuxedo, a white shirt, and silver cufflinks. His black hair was combed to perfection, and he looked gorgeous. In fact, I didn't think I'd ever seen a more beautiful man in my life than Adan Cole.

"May I have the honor of escorting you downstairs to the Luna Presentation Ceremony?"

A smile lit my lips. "I thought you'd never ask." After the night before, I thought Adan wouldn't want to see me again, let alone escort me tonight. "Thank you."

He pulled the door closed behind me. "For what?" He offered me his arm. "It is I who should be thanking you."

I slipped my arm in his, and we started down the hallway as my guards followed a few paces behind, giving us space. "After last night, I wasn't sure you'd—"

"No," he said, smiling as sincerity colored his eyes. "Tonight, let's speak only of happy things."

I nodded as my heart sank. "If I forgot to tell you, I had a wonderful time last night."

He patted my arm, smiling as he looked into my eyes. "I'm glad you did. So did I." He held the door open for me, and I stepped inside, and he walked in behind me. "Meet us downstairs," Adan told my guards.

"Aye," they said in unison as the doors closed.

Alone, he turned to face me. "You look gorgeous tonight."

A smile lit my lips. "Thank you. So do you."

He gave me a slight bow and took my hand as he looked into my eyes, causing my heart to melt. "Good luck tonight."

"Thank you."

The doors opened, and he offered me his arm, and my guards were already waiting for us. They stepped back, letting us go ahead.

We walked through the hallway, headed toward the doors. Shifters we passed stood back to let us go by, and everyone was dressed in their evening wear finery. A soft glow came from outside, and I wondered what it would be. But when the doors opened, I gasped, for everyone in the Pack was lined up along the path holding small candles, illuminating the way.

I was so touched that I nearly cried as everyone looked at me and smiled.

"Good luck." Adan gave me a light kiss over both cheeks and smiled as he looked into my eyes. "I'm afraid this is where I leave you. The Potential Luna must take the journey alone. Good luck." Then he stepped away, clasping his hands behind his back.

"Here. Carry this." Magenta smiled as she handed me a candle in a hurricane glass. "Hold it from the bottom. I'll meet you down there."

I nodded, smiling as I took the glass. The candle illuminated the way as I strolled down the walkway past the sea of people that had gathered. Along the way, everyone smiled but no one spoke. I followed the path, and soon it spilled out onto the Standing Stones.

Seven stones stood in a circle, and mosaic tiles had been set in a circular fashion to the center, where the image of the Moon Goddess was etched on the center circular tile. The gray stones were illuminated blue in the bright moonlight. Everyone stood around the outside of the circle holding their candles.

Magenta stepped into the center of the circle. "Members of the Moon Shadow Pack, we are gathered tonight before the Moon Goddess, Selene, to humbly ask that Princess Brenna Sutton join the ranks of Luna among us." Then she turned toward the moon and raised her arms. "Oh, Moon Goddess, I present to you Princess Brenna Sutton as a Potential Luna." Magenta took the candle from me and stepped away.

I took my place in the center of the stones, looked up at the moon, and lifted my hands. "Oh great Moon Goddess, I, Princess Brenna Sutton, humbly present myself to become your next Luna, if you so choose."

Suddenly, the moon glowed brighter than before, and an image of a woman with snow-white hair appeared in the moon along with a white wolf behind her. I gasped as I fell to my knees, unable to take my eyes off her.

Her eyes met mine, and she smiled. "If I give you this power, what will you do with it?"

"I will serve my Pack," I replied.

"Will you guard them, protect them with all that you possess?"

I nodded. "Yes, I will."

Selene gave a slight nod. "Will you stay faithful to your Pack, never to forsake them?"

"Yes, I will."

She tilted her head as a smile lit her lips. "You have pleased me, Brenna. Stay faithful to your people and never forsake them, and I shall never forsake you." She raised her hands, and bright beams of light shot from them, hitting me squarely on the chest. My body tingled as I felt myself rising from the ground, my back bending backward, but a profound sense of peace came over me as I was left the ground.

Energy immediately flooded my body as beams of light shot from me into the seven stones, causing them to glow a bright blue. Then my body lowered again until I came to rest in the center of the Standing Stones, on the image of the Moon Goddess. Then the light faded, leaving me feeling drained but at the same time, content and energized.

"Thank you." I looked up at the Moon, knowing the Moon Goddess had chosen me to be a Luna.

Instantly, I knew that from henceforth, I was representing the Moon Goddess on Earth, as all Lunas do. A part of her seemed to now be inside of me. From this moment on, it would be my duty and honor to serve my Pack and protect them, no matter the cost.

Everyone clapped as Adan scooped me into his arms and made his way through the sea of people. "Don't worry. I've got you," he beamed, looking down at me with more pride than I'd ever felt before. He looked over his shoulder to Mason walking beside us. "Have everyone wait for us in the Main Dining Hall."

"Aye," Mason chirped and then stood back to address the Pack.

Adan looked down at me as he walked inside and into the elevator. "I'm so proud of you."

I nodded, feeling so drained that I could hardly lift my head. As the doors opened and Adan carried me down the hallway headed toward my condo, I knew I would remember this night for as long as I lived.

***

A/N: So, would you like to become a Luna... and all that it entails? 

Visit my Patreon if you'd like to read ahead. More to come! https://www.patreon.com/user?u=82904554