Part 1

I had just finished working my shift at Anteiku whan i decided to sit at one of the tables to wait for my friends.

"hey kana" hide waved over as he walked through the door, kaneki following closely behind.

The two boys sat aither sides of the tables and turned to see the tv screen above the counter.

"another attack last night" i spoke quietly.

"damn... The takada building isnt that far from here" hide said, concerned. "i bet you'd be eaten up before you knew it, kaneki. Since you're a nerdy weakling always readin' those wierd books"

"hide! Leave him alone." i hit his arm jokingly. "You'd probably get eaten aswell, and besides, kanaki reads good books, unlike you, im suprised you even know how to read" he laughed at my petty insult.

"don't laugh, th- they're not wierd..." kanaki defended himself. "hide, you ought to expose yourself to more good writing."

"no way, books knock me out in five seconds"

I rolled my eyes at hide's reply and turned back to the tv. I could hear the two boys messing around behind me, talking about if they were ghouls. But what really got to me was when they started drawing their interpretations of a ghoul.

They monsters they drew. They had no idea that not all ghouls were bad. I clenched my fists and forced a laugh when kanaki showed me his 'ghoul'.

I was thankfull when hide changed the subject.

"anyway, kanaki. Enough about ghouls. Which one's the cute girl you've been talking about?" hide leaned forward as he asked,, i did the same.

"HUH?! KEEP IT DOWN! and stop looking around" kanaki said with a sudden burst of panic.

"oh. Is that her?" hide asked as he looked towards touka, who was seating a customer.

I felt a slight relief when kanaki said no.

But that releif dissapeared when hide started shouting at her.

"EXCUSE ME!" hide yelled at her.

"hide, shut up, leave her alone" i sighed.

"yes?" she replied while giving me a confused look as-if to ask 'why are you with these wierdos'

"CAN YOU TAKE OUR ORDER?!" hide was still yelling. "i will have a cappuccino what about you guys?"

"w-were fine" i answered for both me and kanaki. "please just leave touka alone, i know you, and i know what your gonna ask her. Dont."

He gave me the 'shh dont ruin it' look.

Touka began to write the order when suddenly hide spoke again.

Crap.

"uh, sorry, but... Can i ask your name" he asked with a big smile.

"HIDE, I SAID HER NAME LIKE FIVE TIMES!!" he ignored me.

Touka looked at me before answering apprehensively, "it's touka kirishima..."

"MISS KIRISHIMA!! DO YOU HAVE A BOYFRIEND?!" hide yelled right into her face.

"u-um" she stutterd in shock. " N-NO, I DON'T!" she yelled as she ran off.

"COME BACK!" hide yelled after her.

"Idiot!" I groaned, flicking his ear causing him to grab the side fo his head.

Suddenly the bell above the cafe door rang out.

"She was so cute i couldn't help myself...." Hide smirked before noticing Kaneki, slumped over the table, "What's wrong, Dude?"

"Over there.... Thats her...." He whispered into his arm, side eying Rize, who had just walked in. A book lover like him, but also a ghoul and a glutton, unlike him.

Published Saturday 23rd March 2024.