18 | MIDSUMMERS !

Outer Banks, Cameron's houseJuly 19th, 20207:09pm

July 19th, 2020
7:09pm

Kiara waved at me with both of her hands when she saw me arriving and I walked towards her, so relieved to see someone I knew in this crowd of rich people. Her parents were busy talking with a man so they didn't even see her leaving and joining me, which I appreciated because I didn't feel like talking about work. I reached her and she pulled me in a gentle hug, allowing me to guess she was just as relieved as me to see a friend.

"Hi," she smiled. "You're so pretty, I can't believe you found this in a thrift shop"

I had been forced to lie to my friend not to admit Rafe Cameron had bought it for me, since it would have been a detail she wouldn't have missed. I nodded, hiding my lie with a smile, and then admired her long white dress. Kiara was one of the most beautiful girls I had ever met and she could have worn a nightgown, she would have still been the prettiest girl in everyone's eyes.

"Yeah, I was pretty lucky," I mumbled, before pointing at her dress. "You look good too, I think Pope would melt"

"Pope?" she faked innocence.

"Come on! He's so into you!" I giggled, which made her roll eyes at me.

"I don't think so, and even if he was, it's not like anything could happen. No Pogue on Pogue macking, remember?" she asked.

I nodded and looked away, the flashback from JJ's kiss coming back. We had not seen each other ever since he had kissed me, because I had been busy and he had been as well. In other circumstances, he would have visited us at the Chateau or called us, but since things were awkward, he had not given us news, or at least not to me. "Yeah, well, I'm not the one you should tell this to," I stated.

"What do you mean?" she asked.

"JJ kissed me," I announced, as she tilted her head to the side, smiling proudly, as if she knew about his intentions. "Wait, why are you smiling like that?"

She grabbed my hands and placed herself in front of me, locking her eyes in mine so her words would have more impact on me I assumed. "I had been waiting for him to kiss you for ages," she laughed.

"What? So it's No Pogue on Pogue macking when it comes to you and Pope but you don't think it's weird that JJ kissed me the other night?" I frowned.

"Come on, he's so into you, he has loved you his entire life, it's different," she tried to temper but I crossed my arms over my chest, confused. "And don't make that face, I know you were waiting for it too"

I gasped but tried to make it discreet when I realised that maybe, I was the one who had given JJ mixed signals this whole time. Yes, I loved him with my whole heart and wouldn't have traded all the nights I spent in his arms for anything on Earth, but I didn't see him as my boyfriend. He was caring, funny, handsome, the list was long, but I didn't want to ruin our friendship for a relationship I wasn't fully interested in.