6. constant confusion

Start from the beginning

"oh, wednesday," enid whined as she walked over to her best friend and engulfed her in a hug, "xavier is so stupid. i'm sorry he didn't listen. i'm sorry you guys have had the hardest time together. do you wanna go out for ice cream? someone said they have a black licorice flavor now."

"thank you, enid," wednesday replied, "but i want to stay here. i have greater things to focus on compared to gaining xavier's trust again. at the moment, i am not sure i want to have it again."

enid smiled as she pulled back and stepped back towards the door. "okay, well just tell thing to come find me if you decide you want any. i'll be back in a little bit."

............................................

even though enid claimed to be going for ice cream, she decided to take a detour, to the boy's side of the dorms. to one dorm room in particular.

"AJAX! AJAX, HEY! OPEN UP!" enid shouted from the outside of the room. xavier frowned and slowly walked over to the door. "enid, what the hell are you doing here? you're gonna get us both in trouble!"

"where is ajax?" she growled in return. xavier rolled his eyes. "he's not here. he's at dinner. what do you want him for?" enid glared at him and shook her head as she replied, "just stop asking questions, xavier. i don't wanna be a bitch to you, but you've been a really shitty guy lately."

seconds after enid said that to him, she began walking away to the lunchroom to find ajax. "hey, what the hell was that for?!" xavier exclaimed as she stormed off.

"ajax," enid growled as soon as she made her way to him in the lunchroom. he looked up and gave a slight smile. "oh, hey enid, i was hoping to talk to you."

enid shook her head. "no. i'm going to talk to you. come follow me." ajax squinted in confusion and shrugged. "uhhhhh... okay."

as soon as they were in the hallway, away from the other students, so that no one could hear them, enid got straight to the point. "what the hell were you doing at my dorm earlier? and why the eff did you go off on wednesday?! she's only trying to help xavier out right now, and she was protecting me from your strange conversations!"

ajax let out a long held-in sigh. "i'm sorry, xavier's just been really pissy lately after what happened with wednesday. he just wants to go out with her again, and she definitely doesn't want that. she's messing with his head, and i'm tired of it, enid."

enid stared at him with great judgment. "don't talk about my best friend like that. she's only trying to protect him. and seriously, what were you doing at my dorm?!"

ajax looked at the ground anxiously. "i-- uh-- kinda wanted to talk about what happened between us. why... why exactly did you break up with me?"

enid smiled sadly as she told him, "look, ajax, you were really sweet to me. ten out of ten, best boyfriend i've had. but it wasn't going to work out in the end. i want someone who is going to propose to me in college somewhere in tokyo and who wants to spend the rest of their life with me! and you weren't mature enough to have that kind of relationship! i'm sorry i didn't explain it well enough then, but we aren't endgame, ajax. you and me together are just... mid."

ajax shook his head. "enid... i'm sorry i made you feel that way. i do wanna propose to you in tokyo, and i do want that kinda life-long relationship with you. would you... would you give me another chance?"

enid made an uncomfortable-looking face and stepped backward. "i'm sorry, ajax, but i don't think we should get back together. our best friends are in the worst fight of their lives, and i don't want to be in the middle of that right now. and... i know you want to be that guy for me, but you aren't that kind of guy. you aren't mature enough, ajax, and we graduate in a little over a year and a half."

"i'm sorry, enid," ajax replied as he continued shaking his head, "i just wanted to give us another chance."

enid tried offering a reassuring smile. "maybe sometime in the future, but right now i'm enjoying being single. can we just be friends for now?"

ajax smiled and nodded. "yeah, i'd like that."

enid nodded. "great. um, i'll see you in class tomorrow, i guess."

"oh wait," ajax said, smacking his palm to his forehead, "i forgot to ask you! do you know if wednesday still likes xavier? my guy is in desperate need to know."

enid shrugged with a telling smile. "she doesn't dislike him. she just has other priorities right now and wants to keep him safe."

"ah," said ajax, "so she does. dude is gonna be elated when i tell him."

"wait!" enid exclaimed. "just make sure you tell him exactly what i told you! she just wants him safe and doesn't dislike him! do not tell him she likes him!"

ajax nodded. "sure thing. catch you later, enid."

...............................

"hey, xavier, i have some news for you, man," ajax said as he entered their dorm room. 

"what?" xavier asked dismally from his desk. he was sketching the one face that lived rent-free in his mind: wednesday addams.

"so, i talked to enid," said ajax, "and she said the only reason wednesday isn't like super with you right now is 'cause she's tryna protect you. i dunno what it means, but she likes you, man."

xavier's face lit up at the thought. 

wednesday still liked him,
which meant he still had a chance.