Chapter 3 - Opportunities

December 1, 10:46 p.m.

There was a long silence before she answered. She sighed. "Alright fine. How much Yen is there?"
"Uh, like ¥65 243.90," I replied. She looked at the account carefully and handed me $600 CDN. I looked at it confused. "What about the other
$64 643.90?" I asked. The teller looked at me like I was stupid. "Did you not learn about currency in your school?" She said. "What?" She faces palmed getting increasingly annoyed. "1 Japanese Yen is worth more than a CDN dollar to you. If you had the amount you had in Japanese yen in CDN Dollar you would have $600 CDN. I'm not gonna bother explaining it. Just be happy! Half the people that move here don't even have $100 as a starter. No more exceptions." I rolled my eyes and left the bank. I quickly put the money in my account and headed back to Sumin-bi. I had to find a job soon but that is easier said the done. Maybe I could ask around. See what unique jobs I could do.

I'd imagine there are a lot of unique jobs here. Or I could just ask Tatsuya. Either way, I'm not working as a bartender that's a fact. When I arrived back at Sumin-bi I headed to the front desk. The person there was just as tired as I was. It took one light tap for them to return to reality. "I'm up! Oh, hey there stranger! Do you have the right currency this time?" He asked. "Yep! $600 CDN," I replied "Not a bad start but you really should consider a job. You can't live off of just $600 that could get you like 10 nights."
"That should give me enough time." He took the half and now I was already running low. So I certainly needed a job. Maybe I should start the job search tomorrow. I'm pretty sure Tatsuya may have an idea. He handed me a key. "Room 1201," He said. "Thanks!" I responded. I took the key and headed up to my room. I happened to notice something a lot here. People were unnecessarily friendly well The Teller was an exception, but everyone else? They were oddly friendly. Back home people wouldn't even bother talking to me. I would get weird looks and people gawking at the sight of me and whispering immense the crowds

I was a punching bag in high school. If someone had a bad day, all they would do was dump all their problems on me or claim I was the root of their problems. There was only ever one person who stood up to me. Because of him my junior years weren't all that bad. It was my senior years that were a living hell because when I was in
grade 9 he was already in grade 11 at the time. He graduated when I was in grade 10. The elevator had finally reached my floor and my room was one of the first rooms to the right. I went to unlock it and when I stepped in it wasn't too bad.

Ironically, the first thing I checked was the mini fridge beside the bed in the first room when you enter. There were soft drinks, some water and juice. There were also some chocolate chip cookies, a few chocolate bars, and a lot of junk essentially. The room itself was a suite because I totally needed two bedrooms. The second my head hit the pillow I was out like a light. The next day I woke up, got dressed, ate breakfast and chilled for an hour. My usual morning routine before heading to work but then I realized I didn't have work so I took off the fancy suit and put on something more casual.

I left later to head to the bar because I had something to ask Tatsuya. When I got there I was surprised to see the bar was open. When it comes to bars back home they are open for the night and that was about it. But here I guess they are 24-hour bars? I ran in and there were two different bartenders. "Would you look at that? Our first customer of the day! What would you like to drink Sonny?" Said the one bartender. "Oh, I don't drink," I replied. She raised an eyebrow. "Not even a cocktail?"
"I'll pass. I'm here to see Tatsuya Y'know Tatsuya Abe."
"Yeah, he is out back he is getting ready to go home."
"Okay thanks," I left a tip on the table which garnered a look of shock from the bartenders and I headed out back to where both of the night bartenders were getting ready. Including Tatsuya. "Oh, hey! Tatsuya it's your friend from last night!" She said. I took a quick look at her nametag which revealed her name, Annie. "Annie you don't go anywhere yet I have a question for the both of ya." Annie smiled warmly.

She was certainly a lot nicer when we isn't serving beers. Her hair was a mix of black and pink and she also had quite a few tattoos. There was one on her right forearm that was a pentagram which is not something I'd expect from a girl with such hospitality. She wore this white crop top and had a nose piercing. But everyone here was an anthropomorphic animal or humanoid animal which was something I haven't got straight yet Annie was a dog with beige fur and ears. She has a small build. She was about a foot shorter than Tatsuya who is 6 feet, 5 inches.

"So I was hoping you could give me a few ideas for a unique job in this world." I said.