4. Mission : Stop Simping

Start from the beginning

But Ye-Hwang makes no effort to stop her crying. He retreats from the grave with hasty steps, his cloak swooshing on the ground, and a cruel expression imprinted on his face. His nose is crinkled in disgust and jaws are clenched. Soon, the first man finishes his work, and also leaves the place quickly- is if the grave is poisonous and can make him unclean.

I take a step forward, and breathe out. Standing in front of the grave, I let the shawl fall from my head. I kneel down and place a Lily on the soil.

"Love doesn't do wonders when the heart itself is refusing to. Ye-Hwang loved you, but not enough to risk the world for you. You know what, Ryumin?" I whisper in a low tone, feeling a thousand stones smashing my heart into pulp. "Actually, that kind of love is rare. Definitely. Now, you will be fine up there, without being a burden to anyone."

Unknowingly, my fingers are tracing on the fresh soil. I hope she can hear me; also can take in the truth without having to bear pain.

"I don't know, if I will return here or not." I brush away the traces of tears from my eyes and form up a bright smile on my lips, for her. "I have no idea if I will make it alive. But if I do, I promise to return. After all, there's you, Yeon, and Ayra still here..."

After biding her a proper goodbye, I put back the shawl on my head. Walk to the house is mostly silent and filled with my reluctant steps; also accompanied by the heavy rainfall blistering my skin. Everything feels like deep regret to me; the wind is screaming that I'm a failure, not capable, not worthy. Ryumin's death has jabbed me with the most painful truth ever- that my own ending can be like this.

I sneak into the backyard, which is now decorated with mistletoes and snow lights ( kind of tiny bulbs emitting white glow ). My hands are on the doorknob, about to push it- but the door opens before I can do that.

"Mira!" Mrs. Hyun puts a hand on her chest, letting out a sigh of relief as I scurry into the dimly lit corridor. The flowery scent of candles hits my nose. "I was so worried... it's raining like cats and dogs! Never saw a downpour like this before... and the roads! Did you see how slippery they have got- wait, you have managed to return without tripping?"

"Kind of." I slide the wet shawl from my shoulders and step inside the bathroom. It's mostly dark, only a tinge of white is coming through the small window frame.

"Whole Kyeon-ju is going to sink today. As it should. The amount of sins that has happened on this land... it really should..." I hear Mrs. Hyun sighing deeply. "But I'm worried about the roads, they are so slippery and-"

"Mrs. Hyun, can you pass me a gown, please?" I ask wearily, holding my hand outside the bathroom. My body is freezing from coldness. It feels like what I have come through wasn't rain, but a shower of bullets.

"And also, this weird monsoon! This is July, not September! Why will it rain like this-"

"Please, Mrs. Hyun. I'm shivering."

"-Oh, yes." she stops bickering and turns to the closet. Pulling out a white nightgown, she hands it over to me and mutters. "Wait, I will light up a candle. You shouldn't shower in the dark."

"You and your prejudice." I sigh while turning on the tap. "There's nothing in the dark, Mrs. Hyun. Monsters don't exist."

"A haunting past, does. A nightmare, also does." Mrs. Hyun passes me a candle which I put on the floor. Now there's a soft radiance of golden flame cast around the bathroom. Drops of water on the walls reflect brightness. "Mira, pain grows in the dark. When you realize there's no way you can bring light closer, the pain only deepens."

I don't close the door fully, because Mrs. Hyun likes to talk with me while I am taking a shower.

"Is there any way to ease that pain, Mrs. Hyun?" I ask, my eyes set on the floor as I pour down water on my head. I hear the shuffling noise of her dress and the door creaks open a little more.