He had heard his mother's whimper and thought it too cruel to roll his eyes at her. But he could think of worse things that could have happened, and in all honestly, she deserved it for running her supremacist mouth against MC.

A chill crept down his back at his thoughts, and he was ashamed that he still believed them to be true. Some forms of cruelty were warranted.

- You do not need to worry, Mr Gaunt -was MC's response -. I wasn't expecting much from either of you.

Ominis and Byberg choked on their drinks and started coughing to expel the drinks from their windpipe.

- MC! – The clerk tried to regain his composure.

Ominis exaggerated his coughing fit to mask his laugh.

- I beg your pardon. – His teeth clenched.

She saw his eyes turn deadly and she welcomed it.

- Oh! Well, you will have to forgive me if I am being rude, but the last time we met was in Hogwarts.

Corvinus raised an eyebrow, obviously, he had no recollection of the event.

- And I remember your words were not that much different from your wife's. Did you also forget your manners then?

Ominis' delight vanished like a candle next to a window.

A constricting silence settled between them. Everyone was waiting for Corvinus' reaction with different levels of anxiety. The soft melodies were still filling the salon, with the rest of the guests dancing, enjoying the food table filled with sweet and savoury assortments, or just enjoying each other's company.

All of them were unaware of the storm brewing in their corner.

Byberg was shaking in his boots and looked up to the golden ceiling seeking divine intervention. Nefari's mouth was hanging open, still not believing what had just transpired. Ominis gripped the column of his cup with force and fretted with the idea of scooping MC up a hiding her away.

MC, on the other hand, was glad she could remove the man's mask since it was easier to deal with foes than hypocrites.

- You seem to have quite a nasty mouth, don't you? – His face marred with restraint.

- Wow! Déjà vu! I said the same thing to you back then.

Corvinus bared his teeth at her, and his wand conjured in his hand like a dog on a leash.

- Corvinus! – Mr Diels placed himself in front of his protegee – Put that away!

MC sneered behind the man's shoulder.

- I want to see you try, Gaunt.

- THAT'S ENOUGH!

All four turned around at Ominis' shout. He took a step closer to MC and his face twisted in disdain.

- This is outrageous. I knew you were bad-mannered, but you are taking it too far! We invited you in earnestness and yet you think it fit to humiliate us.

MC's eyes became slit.

- Oh, I am so sorry, Omi.

He flinched at the nickname and her obvious intent to insult him.

- But if they can be so open with their distaste for muggle-born, then I don't have to restrain myself.

- You will do well in restraining yourself – he went to grab her arm, but she smacked it away -. Today is important for my family and my fiancé. If you can't behave you are welcome to leave.