Let Me Take Your Heart Away

I stood there watching Derek leave. There was just something about his arrogance that made me want to follow him, he was just charming. I never wanted someone to share my life with, I always thought I would be happier alone.

"Hey," Cristina said as she came over to interrupt my thoughts. "How much longer are you going to stare at those doors? I saw your eyes follow him out, and you weren't just staring at his back."

"Psh, was not!" I retorted. Cristina knew me too well.

"Whatever, you like McDreamy and you know it," she replied.

"McDreamy? Who the hell came up with that?" I asked, even though I saw how it fitted him.

"I did. I mean his eyes were dreamy, his hair was dreamy, and for God's sake his body is to die for. Mer you had the hots for that patient and you can't deny it," Cristina said. About that time my pager was beeping like crazy. It was from the Chief so I had to take it right away. I left Cristina without saying anything. Normally whenever I was being paged 911 to the Chief's office it's never good.

"What is it Sir?" I asked as I flung the door open. I was trying to catch my breath and he looked at me like I was dying.

"Sit down Grey, and take a drink of water," he said as he tossed me a water bottle. I thanked him and did as I was told. "Grey, you've been really phenomenal this past month. You've had ten mass casualties, none of which died. You've also preformed fifteen everyday procedures without any complications. Not many fellows can do that." I blushed at the fact that he acknowledged my work.

"Thank you Sir," I replied.

"In honor of such accomplishments, I noticed that you haven't had a day off in 6 weeks, is that correct?" he asked. I nodded my head. As surgeons we were supposed to have at least one day off a week. "In that case scenario, I'm giving you the rest of the day off. It's a little past noon so you have plenty of time to do what you want."

"But Sir, what I want to do is preform surgeries and that's here," I said.

"Well you can do anything but preform surgeries, you need and deserve the day off. Go home and sleep, catch up on laundry, just do whatever you need to do." With that he sent me out of his office. I did what I was told and went back into the attending's lounge and changed into my street clothes. I texted Cristina that I was leaving for the day and made my way down to the revolving doors.

"Hey," a voice said from behind me. I turned around to see who it was, and lone and behold, it was Derek.

"Hi," I said trying not to smile. I wanted to forget everything that happened behind that curtain but his face only reminded me of it. I told myself it wasn't going to happen again. "Have you been out here waiting for me to leave?" I asked.

"Well I mean I had nothing else to do and whenever I was talking to Richard while you were getting my X-rays, he mentioned about giving you the rest of the day off, so I figured I would wait for you," he said flashing a smile.

"Well I appreciate it, but I have other plans," I answered even though I knew I had nothing going on that afternoon.

"Oh yeah, like what?" he asked as he followed me to my car.

"Well I have banking to do, laundry to wash, and most importantly catch up on all the sleep I've been missing since I've been working so much," I responded. We got close enough to my car where I could unlock it. Derek jumped in front of me before I could reach the handle.

"Go out with me, just one date and I promise I'll leave you alone if it doesn't all work out," he asked. I've never had a man beg me to go on a date.

"Uhm, no," I answered. "I have a lot of stuff to catch up on at home and I'm exhausted and..." Derek cut me off by pressing his lips up against mine for the second time today. He obviously didn't care that we were out in public. He cupped his hands around my neck and opened his mouth allowing my tongue to slide in, while my mouth did the same. Our tongues fought each other. It was almost a habit, like I could see us doing this every day for the rest of our lives. I quickly ran my fingers through his hair. I slowly pulled back and looked up at him. He was all smiles and I laughed.

"So, that date?" he asked again. At this point it felt like a sin to say no, and even though I didn't want a day off, I knew it was going to be beneficial.

"I, I, uhm, I just really need this day off," I responded. He nodded and you could tell he knew where I was coming from.

"Well when Richard Webber voluntarily gives someone a day off, I know it's well needed," he said. He wasn't only dreamt but was also so understanding. "I assume that you still have my business card I gave you?" I did because I remember slipping it into my purse after I took it out of my scrub top. I nodded and he smiled. "Good," he said. "Don't hesitate to call." With that he pecked me on the cheek and turned the opposite way and went down a few cars where he unlocked his Porsche. I studied him as he walked down the sidewalk realizing that I should have said yes to that date.

Whenever I got home the laundry and banking only took me three hours. I went on a run since I wasn't getting my normal exercise in for the day at the hospital, and I watched TV for two hours. By that time it was nearing 7:00 and I realized the only food I had in my fridge were hot dogs, so that's what I had for supper. I ended up going to bed at 8:30 and realized that was the best decision of my life. I woke up the next morning with a text from the Chief saying that he needed me in his office at 9:00 today. I hadn't had any surgeries scheduled for the morning, so I was able to go in whenever I wanted.

I took a granola bar on the go and ate it as I drove to the hospital. It was close to 8:45 and I still had to change into scrubs. By the time I was ready to take on the day, it was already 8:55 and I was on the way to the Chief's office. A million things were running through my head of what he needed. Did he need someone to assist on his surgeries today or was he going to tell me to take it easy again today. As I neared the office I could hear him laughing, so there was obviously another person in there. Before stepping into his office I took a deep breath. I knocked on the door and opened the door slowly.

"Morning Chief," I said before taking a sip of my coffee. There was a dark haired man sitting in the seat in front of his desk but I couldn't make out who it was.

"Grey I noticed that you didn't have any surgeries this morning. Would you mind giving a tour this morning?" he asked. This wasn't what I was expecting at all. I was hoping that he needed me to cut into someone.

"Uhm, yeah sure. Who is it Sir?" I questioned. About that time the dark headed man began to turn around.

"Dr. Grey, I believe you remember Dr. Derek Shepherd from yesterday?" he asked. "Well he's going to be our head of neurosurgery now and I want you to show him the ropes around here." My heart was racing and my jaw dropped. "Can you handle this Dr. Grey?" the Chief asked one more time.

"Uh, uhm, yeah," I responded. Those piercing blue eyes were staring right at me again and I could already tell that this was going to be a long day.

***I apologize for not updating sooner! I have some pretty cool ideas for the next chapter. A lot of the things in this story aren't going to match the way the show went, so there will be some characters in here who are no longer on the show.
xoxo, Molly***