Tamed

Fingertips grazed along the wooden doors, nails tapping against the dark surface just begging to push onwards into the room that awaited you.

The week you had been dreaming of since you were a little girl was finally here. Mentor Week.

During the final year at your academy, a group of state of the art mentors across all fields of combat would come and take on one student to train for a week. If the week of training went well and all exams are passed, the student has the opportunity to become a full fledged sidekick for their mentors.

The opportunity was a dream for most students, especially because it allowed them to bypass years of internships and work studies that would allow them to jumpstart their sidekick career. Not many students passed the training each year, but you weren't most students.

Combat work has been in your family for generations. Each member of your family owned their own agency, or was their own independent master within many fields of combat. In addition, your family had been blessed with different types of elemental control of water.

It wasn't unusual for families to have a traditional power that's been passed down for generations, but to have such control over a foundational element made your family rare, amongst many. Specifically, you were rare amongst many.

For the first time in nearly five decades, you had gained the ability to fully control the element of water. Many members of your family only had partial control, whether it be certain types or temperatures of water, but you had universal power over it. From the very first day you developed the power, your mother made sure you knew of its importance.

"You're very special my love," Your mother spoke to you, your wide glossy eyes staring at her after you had witnessed just a small glimpse of what your power had to offer.

You were just swimming in the spring behind your home, all of your cousins playing an intense game of tag with their own versions of their powers. In the midst of your fun, you noticed your little brother slip on one of the stones, and his head was aiming right for a sharp rock below.

Almost like second nature, you swung your arms up in an attempt to catch him. But instead of feeling his skin on yours, you almost felt his presence in your arms. Like you knew you caught him, but not in the way you planned. When you peaked your eyes open, you gasped upon seeing your brother surely being held upright, but it was a stream of water that caught him.

Everyone seemed caught up in the moment, especially your cousins. You remember your aunties and uncles all crowding around in amazement at what you had done, but all you could remember was how confused you were. You didn't really do anything, but in so many ways you did.

"Our family has been waiting for generations for an heir to take on the full power of our element," Your mother spoke with a proud smile, "I knew from the moment you opened your eyes my special Y/n, it was going to be you."

You remembered how your family celebrated all night, and even the week after crowds of people you didn't recognize came to celebrate your new gift. From that day forward, training became your new obsession. Your new purpose. The chant they repeated to you over and over would ring in your head, until you made it to this moment.

"You are the chosen one."

You weren't sure if you whispered those words to yourself, or to the door standing tall before you, but it was all you needed to hear before you bravely pushed the doors open to start this new path of success.

-

Every bit of confidence faltered when you noticed a lack of presence in the room. It seems no mentors had shown up yet, and only a few students sat at the vacant desks.