They felt a hand on their other shoulder, and e/c eyes looking up into sharp amber ones. Their white shirt damp from Xiao's tears.

It had been a hard continuous journey - one Xiao would continue to take for the many years to come. And even when canon ends up beginning; he would still be fighting to one day dance in a field of flowers.

"Y/N is correct. I trusted them in their instincts to save you, and I brought you here to have a new life; to be free of the torment that was thrust upon you unwillingly." Rex spoke, the hand on their shoulder moving onto Xiao's. "You need not worry about anyone trying to force you to do anything anymore. You're free, Xiao."

More sobs left the Anemo Adeptus' lips, his arms removing themselves from around Y/N's waist, only to latch onto Rex.

It had been the only time he had disregarded all formality with the future Geo Archon.

Rex himself seemed so out of his element; amber eyes slightly widened in surprise, lips parted. Y/N could only smile sadly at the scene as he put a hand on Xiao's shoulder, slowly melting into the warm embrace and muttered, "I know. I know."

It stayed like that for a little while longer.

The argumentative voices had stopped, making Y/N look up from their book.

"Are you alright, Y/N?" Guizhong's soft voice rang out like a jingle of bells in their ears.

The h/c haired looked up and stared into her stormy grey eyes with a small smile.

"Yes. Just reminiscing a tiny bit."

She shared the same smile and nodded at their sentence. Streetward Rambler came up beside them and sat down, humming to a tune of hers. Guizhong took no less than a second to join on Y/N's other side, laying her head on their shoulder.

"What are you reading?"

Streetward Rambler then laid her own head on top of Y/N's other shoulder, taking a deep breath in and exhaling in content. Y/N chuckled; the only time the two got along was when they were both bothering - read: wanting their attention - Y/N.

"It's about this person who lost their memories and met this unique individual that took them in and trained them to slay the monsters of that realm. They end up helping this pair of siblings and..."

As Y/N continued their rambling, the setting sun slowly descended on the horizon, casting a beautiful amber shine on the three relaxed friends, unknowing of the horrors they would eventually be burdened with.

✧・゚: *✧・゚:* *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

Y/N grasped the teal Adeptus' hand tightly, dragging him along.

It didn't take much to convince Xiao to follow them; something about having a 'debt to be paid' but they couldn't care less. They would never make Xiao do anything he didn't want to do.

And this was something they figured they could at least do for him.

The familiar pathway towards what they once called home, hundreds - thousands - of years ago. The once proud, cozy home had all but been wiped away, the wooden walls falling apart at its seams.

But that wasn't their actual destination.

It only took a few more minutes until they were at the same site that Y/N had first met Guizhong; the field of flowers. The same one that both Guizhong and Y/N took care of, to make sure it stayed just as beautiful, and there were even more flowers than before.

"I figured you needed something to destress, and forget about everything." Y/N muttered as they looked at all the glaze lilies, silk flowers, mints, sweet flowers and even some qingxin that Y/N was able to plant and keep alive, even if they weren't as high up as where they'd usual grow.