The Apprehension Between Twigs chapter 9

-

-

-

Courtney p.o.v

"Ashamed to introduce me, Benny?"

"N-no...Uh- Courtney, this is... Emmett, my brother..."

What? WHAT! "WHAT!" I shrieked, making both the boys cringe. I breathed in and out a few times to calm myself. "Since when do you have a brother," I continued on a much softer and calmer tone. Though I could feel my voice crack. "May I be excused?" I asked and both the boys nodded simultaneously. I took out my phone, an old one, still watching the boys with wide eyes. "Hello Gloria?"

"Yez hun?"

"I think I have to take the rest of the day off," I said bewildered. "I'll explain later."

"It's okay, hun" She agreed with her voice softer than normal. "Yow never had taken any sick day sow far. I'll see yow when yow get ready." I nodded, realised she couldn't see me and then greeted, before hanging up. 

"So, you two care to explain?" I asked harder than I intended. Emmett pulled up a chair and sat on it reversed. He looked a lot like Bennett, only his eyes were gray instead of blue. Also, Emmett's nose was a bit larger, and had once been broken, and his face was rougher. And Bennett had this softness that Emmett lacked. But he was hot...stupid good genes!

Bennett started. "It's a long story and I'm not sure if you want to hear it__" Emmett cut him off. 

"Oh, dear brother, the girl want to hear it. Unless you are ashamed?" It didn't sound really friendly and Bennett averted his eyes to the ground. "We're half-brothers. We share a dad but have different moms." I nodded and waited 'til he continued. "Our dad was married to his mom, but had an affair with mine." My muscles relaxed and I felt my facial expression soften. I pitied him a little bit, he spoke about it with such a cold and detached tone. "Don't look at me like that, I don't need your pity."

"I know but I can't help it!" I blurted out, making Emmett to raise an eyebrow and stared at me. 

"Anyway, we need to get going..." Bennett intervened and stood up. He hastily called a waiter and paid him on the spot, as fast as he could. Jeez, what;s up with him? "Where do you want to go?" He asked with a hint of pink on his cheeks. Aw, he's blushing again. I shrugged.

"How about we'll go shopping?" Emmett suggested and looked at Bennett. I really, really didn't want to go shopping. I have my own method of shopping and it takes a long, long time. First I think of what I need and then I stroll off every shop and compare everything before I buy. When I shop, I need at least a week, considering all the preparatory work. I fervently shake my head. 

"I don't want to go shopping," I objected. 

"You're a girl, what girl doesn't want to go shopping?" Emmett asked surprised. Bennett huffed something under his breath and Emmett turned to him. "Something to say, bother?" His face pulled into a condescending smile. 

"No...Yes, I mean...Courtney can choose," He mumbled and I smiled at him. 

"I wanna go bowling!" I happily exclaimed and Bennett and Emmett started laughing at me, hard. The entire teras looked our way, with angry and annoyed looks. Blood rushed to my face again as a few people started whispering and pointing our way. "Stop laughing you guys, it's embarrassing." They abruptly stopped and looked at each other, as if they didn't notice that they were laughing with each other. They stayed silent, leaving me awkwardly fondling with my napkin.