two. if i was that pretty i'd be kind of mean too

the next time maeve encountered xolo was at a table read a few weeks later. it was early january, and unreasonably cold for los angeles, so the girl was tucked into a coat and hat. as she entered the room, however, the first thing she spotted was xolo, in a flimsy tshirt and shorts— and she knew it shouldn't have bothered her, but it did.

along with the main of the crew, the actors present for this initial read were maeve, xolo, and an actress maeve vaguely recognised, with dark coily hair and a sweet smile. she was sitting to the left of xolo, under a name card that read lacy/elin. rolling her eyes probably not all that subtly, she took a seat under the name card reading maeve/nico, just to the right of him, placing her coffee between them.

"right." the director, adrianna, smiled far too brightly for that early in the morning. "i know this isn't the complete cast, but it's an excellent start for the majority of the film— our three protagonists! maeve, xolo, lacy, i hope you'll all become well acquainted."

leaning back on his chair, xolo grinned at lacy, and then, in turn, at maeve. in response, maeve raised an eyebrow and sipped her coffee slowly. the cocksure smirk slipped off his face as soon as it had appeared and he rested his chair back on all four legs.

"so, within the film, there's of course your cliché love triangle, because these days you can hardly have a rom-com without it," adrianna explained. "maeve, you play nico, the mysterious and witty girl that angel meets at college and begins dating. lacy, your character, elin, is angel's childhood best friend who he's never quite seen. she's sweet and reserved and obviously loves taylor swift. and angel, well, as the name suggests, he's an angel. he's sincere and honest and loving, and will eventually realise that elin is the right person for him. now, i'm going to give you three some time to get to know each other before we start running lines."

adrianna took a seat at the opposite end of the table alongside the producer and other members of the pre-production crew, leaving the three young adults alone to make conversation, which xolo was the first to initiate.

"so, maeve, you're mainly a pop star right? i mean, it's hard not to have heard of you. i wasn't aware you were back in the acting game."

"i never actually left," she answered, taking another sip of her coffee. "i just choose jobs where i want to, since it isn't my main focus anymore. if i find things interesting."

xolo's eyebrows raised.

"does that mean i've been deemed interesting?"

"no."

lacy coughed a little, possibly stifling a laugh. maeve chose to redirect her attention to her.

"lacy, you're british, right? i've seen you in that netflix show."

"yeah!" she smiled brightly. "and you were a disney kid, which is so insanely cool."

"trust me, it's not as cool as you think," maeve laughed slightly, leaning forwards on the table to look over xolo to talk to the girl.

"my friend jacob was a disney kid," the man chimed in, running a hand through his hair and placing his elbows on the table, cutting off the clear view maeve had just established. "he says the same thing."

maeve ignored him.

"i think i got lucky working with netflix first, but it's still not the greatest. you know how platforms like that are."

maeve nodded, but the two girls' conversation was overlapped by xolo weighing in on his experiences with netflix, so maeve let the two talk, sipping her coffee in silence. after all, it was their characters that ended up together, it was better that they got along.

☆☆☆

JACOBO

JACOBO

JACOBO
soooo
tell me about your table read

EL SERPIENTE
it was
a table read i guess

JACOBO
okay i don't care about your
table read
what was maeve tanner like

EL SERPIENTE
well
i don't think she likes me very
much

JACOBO
what
why
how did you already mess this up

EL SERPIENTE
i don't know
i didn't do anything
i don't think
she just doesn't seem super fond of
me

JACOBO
dude
how do you get possibly the most
famous and by far the coolest person
either of us have ever met to hate you
immediately

EL SERPIENTE
new record??
i really don't know
maybe she's just kind of mean??

JACOBO
if i was that pretty i'd be kind of
mean too
that was haven
but i second it

EL SERPIENTE
hello haven
for the record
haven is kind of mean

JACOBO
she says thank you
i say don't be mean about my
girlfriend
(no i don't i say you're right she's
threatening me)

EL SERPIENTE
maybe she's mean to me because
she's in love with me

JACOBO
xolo this isn't third grade

EL SERPIENTE
you and haven used to be mean
to each other and you guys are in
love

JACOBO
i would like to point out that
haven and i were best friends
before we were in love
haven would like to point out
that you and maeve are not in
love

EL SERPIENTE
our characters are

JACOBO
i swear your characters don't
even end up together

EL SERPIENTE
no
they don't
they just make out a lot

JACOBO
okay
well
hello to whatever fantasy world
you're living in
in this world
maeve tanner hates you
already

EL SERPIENTE
what do you mean "already"
don't act like this was predestined

JACOBO
maybe it was
you're annoying

EL SERPIENTE
haven cooper
question
who is more annoying me or jacob

JACOBO
you
no jacob that's not what i meant
i meant jacob is more annoying
xolo

EL SERPIENTE
because texting you two on one
phone isn't confusing at all

JACOBO
it's a couples thing
this could have been you and maeve
if she didn't hate you
AHAHAHAHAH
you're not funny jacob

EL SERPIENTE
well
that's enough of that
also i never said she hated me
hate is a strong word

JACOBO
whatever you say man