Chapter 47: Equality and Power

Adan

"So, how did your fitting go today?" I spread dip on a cracker and took a bite. She was right. It was delicious.

She laughed. "So, you heard us?"

I lifted one shoulder, smiling. "I couldn't help it. The walls are relatively thin."

She took a sip of her champagne. "Well, since Asana had me captive trying on dresses, we had a partial beauty day, too."

I looked down, and her fingernails were painted a soft pink with sparkles. "They look gorgeous." I took her hand and kissed it.

Brenna smiled. "Thank you. We knew there wouldn't be enough time to do everything tomorrow."

Caesar discretely set our plates on the table, filled with Chicken Tagine with Apricots and Almonds, along with cheesy mashed potatoes. "Let me know when you're ready for dessert."

I nodded. "Thank you."

He bowed slightly and then retreated back to the Chef's Station to prepare.

"So, what have you been up to today?" Brenna took a bite of the chicken and apricot. "This is so good."

A smile lit my lips. "I was hoping you'd like it."

I was surprised that she really wanted to know about what I did. Most women I'd been with before only saw me as the Alpha, not as a person.

"Well, during your day of beauty, I met with Caesar about the plans for tomorrow night. I also spoke with Mason, and everything is set." I took a bite of the chicken, and the savory flavor of apricots and chicken filled my mouth.

She nodded. "So, will there be any other women presenting themselves tomorrow?"

I shook my head, surprised she didn't already know the answer. "No. Only one Potential Luna presents herself before the Moon Goddess at a time. Since the full moon is in a three-day cycle, each would present themselves on the following days." I shrugged. "Or they would wait until next month."

She took a sip of her champagne.

"Have you not seen a Luna Presentation Ceremony before?"

Brenna shook her head. "No." She let out a deep breath. "Looking back, I see that my father was protecting me. Maybe a little too much."

I gave her hand a gentle squeeze. "Your father loved you and didn't want you mixed up in things in this world before you were ready."

"Yes, but it didn't do me any favors." She slowly pulled away and resumed eating.

"I'm sorry... about what happened to your father."

She nodded, giving me a small smile. "Thanks. It's hard to believe that my parents and my brother are actually gone and now, everything's happening so fast. This time last month, if someone had told me I'd be here right now, I would have never believed them. My Pack was strong." She gave me a small smile. "We had some of the most powerful warriors I'd ever seen."

I nodded. "Your Pack was taken by surprise."

"Yes. But I want to make sure that doesn't happen here." She took another sip of her champagne and smiled. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to ruin this evening."

"You didn't ruin anything." I shrugged. "I'm here if you ever need to talk."

"Thank you."

The conversation turned to lighter topics as we ate. All too soon, Caesar cleared away our dishes and brought us a Creme Brulé Tart.

Brenna dabbed at her lips with her cloth napkin and laid it on her dinner plate. "Everything was so delicious I don't think I could eat another bite."

He bowed slightly, taking her plate. "Thank you, My Queen. I'm so glad you liked it."

"I loved it. It was really good."

He nodded and then turned to me. "Would you like anything more before I go?"

I shook my head, smiling. "No, thank you. Caesar, I have to agree. This dinner was exquisite."

A smile lit his lips. "Thank you, Alpha. Text me on my cell if you need anything."

"I will." I looked over, and he had left everything set up but had left to give us some privacy. Unable to wait any longer, I dabbed at my lips and laid my napkin on the table. "Brenna, I asked you here tonight for a reason."

She froze mid-bite and set down her fork. "Oh?"

I took a small box from inside my suit coat and started to kneel on the floor beside her.

"Wait!"

My head snapped up as I stood. "What's wrong?" My heart fell, wondering what this could mean.

"If you're going to do what I think you're going to do, we need to have a discussion first."

I nodded as I set the ring box aside. "And what do we need to discuss?"

She bit her lower lip and released it. "Do you plan to treat me as an equal... if I agree to marry you?"

"You are an equal—"

"No. I mean, with equal power." She looked into my eyes.

I chuckled. This had to be a joke. "Brenna, I'm the Alpha—"

"And if everything goes well tomorrow night, I will be the Pack Luna with everything that goes along with it." She let out a deep breath. "If I accept, I will rule by your side. Of course, you will be the Alpha, but I will also have a say in the Pack, if I become your wife and Mate."

I took her hand as I looked into her eyes. "Brenna, you must understand that I am the Alpha, which means that I make the decisions for the Pack. I report to no one. You will not only be the Luna but the Queen of this Pack, which means that you will need to be protected." I sighed. "I will make the decisions for the Pack, and you will not be allowed to fight in battle."

"Allowed?" she scoffed. "I thought we already went through this. We agreed that I was to help train the young warriors, and we would stay inside to protect the castle in the event of an attack."

"Yes, but you will not engage directly in the fighting." I sighed. "And I and I alone will make decisions concerning this Pack."

"Then you and you alone will warm your bed." Brenna rose to her feet. "Thank you for a lovely evening, but I cannot accept." Then she turned to walk out.

"Brenna, wait—"

"Look, Adan...." She wheeled around. "I will not marry anyone who doesn't view me as an equal. My mother was the Pack Luna and ruled by my father's side, and he was the Alpha. My father sheltered me, and I'll be damned if I'll let you shelter me, too. Goodnight."

This time, I let her go as my heart went with her. But I was the Alpha, and there was no way I would relinquish my power to anyone... not even her.

***

A/N: So, do you think Brenna and Adan will reach a compromise? Let me hear what you think! :-) 

If you'd like to read ahead, this story is complete on my Patreon. Copy and past the following link in your Web browser: https://www.patreon.com/user?u=82904554