Chapter 40: Taking a Stand

Brenna

Just then, the doors opened and I stepped out, glad for the cool air hitting my face in the hallway. Adan was the most exciting man I'd ever met in my life. But I had to stay strong and focus on what I wanted, or I may never get it.

Adan caught up with me, and my guards followed. I didn't turn to look at him. I needed to stay strong. But one look into his gorgeous blue eyes, and I would be tempted to to cave and let him claim me as his Mate right then.

But that time wasn't now.

"Are you all right?" he asked.

I nodded as I peeked up at him. "I'm fine." But I quickly looked away.

I was ready to push open the door when Adan caught my hand, stopping me. "Brenna, I'm sorry if I overstepped—"

"No. Not at all." I smiled, letting out a deep breath. Then I pushed the doors open and walked in as he followed.

The Main Dining Hall was set up like a buffet. Looking around, I realized this was the first time I'd had breakfast here. To the right was a buffet line and servers kept everything filled as the shifters walked through on the other side, helping themselves to whatever they wanted. I looked around the room, and small children sat with their families, eating breakfast. Some warriors ate with their families, while the single warriors ate together. It was an interesting, family dynamic. At night, I didn't see many small children out and about. It was nice, though, reminding me of home.

But then again, this was my home... now.

"Want to get something?" Adan asked, indicating the buffet line.

"That's why we're here." I chuckled as I headed toward the back of the line.

But as we approached, everyone stepped away from the buffet.

"Alpha, you go ahead," one man said, taking a step back.

"Go ahead," a woman said, pulling her child back.

He smiled and patted the top of the boy's head. "No. You go ahead. He looks hungry."

A smile lit her lips. "Thank you, Alpha."

"The Alpha always eats first."

I looked over my shoulder, and Mason had walked up behind us just in time for our meeting.

"Everyone, go ahead." Adan smiled as he stabbed a pancake and plopped it onto my plate.

The Pack members walked up to the buffet after he passed, but not before. It was the same in all Packs. The Alpha always ate first, and the rest of the Pack ate what was left, which was a lot in our case. Packs had many businesses, and there was always plenty of food and money to go around. A good Alpha would never let his Pack go hungry.

"So, how was dinner last night?" Mason looked over at me and smiled as he slid some bacon onto his plate.

I shrugged. "The Dons were all nice." It was hard to believe that they were some of the most dangerous people in the city, but they were considered that for a reason. I learned long ago never to underestimate anyone, especially people in power.

"Good!" Mason spooned some scrambled eggs onto his plate. "So, have you two set a date yet?"

"Mason, leave her alone," Adan growled, shaking his head. It seemed that they had an odd dynamic between them. It appeared that Mason could get away with much more with Adan than anyone else could.

"So, how long have you two known each other?" I took a Belgium waffle and slid it onto my plate, along with a few slices of bacon.

Mason laughed. "Too many years to count."

Wolf-shifters stay the age they were when they get their wolf and never aged a day after. I received my wolf at eighteen, so I'll never grow older. However, men get their wolves at about twenty-five, much later than women. But we can die or be killed, so we're quasi-immortal.

"About a hundred years, give or take a few." Adan took a biscuit and some butter, not looking up.

"Try, more like one hundred and seventy-two." Mason smiled, shaking his head.

"Wow!" Adan laughed. "That was oddly specific."

Mason shrugged. "What can I say? I'm a numbers guy."

When we were finished, we headed to the head table. Two women were waiting there, their smiles fading when they saw me. I assumed they were waiting for Adan.

"Unless you're a warrior, leave now." I set my plate down, waiting for their reaction.

"Yeah, you're just the flavor of the month." One scoffed, brushing her long blonde hair back over her shoulder.

Without thinking, I grabbed her by the throat, lifting her slightly off her feet, and squeezed, looking into her eyes as mine flared. "I am your future queen, and you will do well to remember that!"

Silence filled the room, and all eyes were suddenly on us as the woman gasped, clawing at my hand.

I glanced over at the other woman, if you'd call her that. "And that goes for you, too." I let the blonde go.

She grabbed her throat as she bent over, trying to catch her breath. "This isn't over!" she panted. "Adan was supposed to be mine!"

I shrugged. "Well, if he was, then he would have claimed you way before I came along. Now, go! Unless you want to go at it right now."

"That's enough. You've made your point." Adan rose to his feet and then looked over at the blonde. "I'm sorry, Hailey, but I'm not in love with you. You knew I was waiting for my Mate from the start. I never told you anything different."

Hailey flailed her arm at me, tears in her eyes. "And she's your Mate? The one you chose?"

"Yes." Adan's eyes never wavered. "I'm in love with her. I'm sorry, Hailey, but I never meant to hurt you."

She scoffed. "Well, now. It's a little late too for that. Don't you think?"

"Come on. Let's get out of here." The brunette started pulling her from the room, but she pulled away.

"No, Ember!" Hailey ripped her arm away. "Adan and I were together so long I thought he'd never find his Mate... and then he'd choose me."

"Well, that's not going to happen."

I stood beside thetable, waiting for her to make a move. Already, I could tell that I was a muchbetter warrior than she was. It would be nice to find out. In a way, I feltsorry for her. But then again, Adan had been upfront with her, and she knewwhat she was getting herself into when she started sleeping with him. My bloodboiled at the thought. But he was over two hundred years old, so I could hardlyexpect him to remain celibate until we met. But now that I'm here, it's overbetween them. Some queens accept that their Alphas have mistresses, but I'm notone of them.

***

A/N: Poor Adan! Do you think Hailey will give up so easily? Comment below and let's chat! :-) 

Also, I turned this story into a serial series, and it's coming to Amazon this summer!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0C9W889VD?binding=kindle_edition&ref=dbs_dp_rwt_sb_pc_tukn