Chapter 9: Starved

Start from the beginning

"We didn't have anything to do with that," the boy said, shaking his head. His eyes fell on Demetri, "But I am sorry about what happened at the mall. We just wanna learn Miyagi-Do karate."

"I'd be careful about this, Mr. L, letting the Cobra Kais into Miyagi-Do. It's like letting the wildlings behind the wall," Demitri yelled.

Mr. LaRusso looked back at him, thinking about Demetri's Game of Thrones reference. "Didn't the wildlings help Jon Snow win the Battle of the Bastards?"

Demetri paused, then sighed. "Should've picked a different analogy..."

Mr. LaRusso looked back at the Cobras. "We're happy to have you," he told them. "Nice to meet you guys." Mr. LaRusso greeted them all and shook their hands. "We'll start your guys' first lesson today, if you're up for it."

I couldn't believe Mr. LaRusso's words. I had enough. I threw down the brush in my hand, tired and frustrated. I walked quickly across the yard and  through the dojo, making my way to the front. I just needed a break.

I made it to the front lot and stood in the middle. One of my hands was on my hip while the other rubbed my forehead out of stress.

After a moment, I heard Mr. LaRusso's voice behind me. "Y/n. Whats wrong?" he asked.

I spun towards him. "I can't believe you're letting them in here—especially after what they did."

"Y/n, I know you're angry. But you have to listen-"

"No! They are going to ruin Miyagi-Do. That's why they're here." I pointed in their direction as I spoke firmly. "They've done it once, they'll do it again."

"They told us they didn't participate in what happened to the dojo-" Mr. LaRusso started, before I interrupted him again.

"And you believe them? They will say whatever it takes to get on our good side so they can stab us in the back again and again."

Mr. LaRusso looked at me calmly, but also slightly confused. "Y/n, where is this coming from?"

I replayed my own words in my head, trying to find an answer, but there was none in sight. "I don't know," I replied.

"Listen to me, Y/n. You are one of the greatest assets to this dojo. You have what it takes. You have the motivation. But it looks like you've lost focus."

I looked at him, silently listening to his words.

"Let me teach you a little something—something that Mr. Miyagi taught me when I lost focus."

Mr. LaRusso took time to teach me a certain meditation technique. He taught me how to stand, when to breathe, and what to think about. When he finished explaining it, he went back into the dojo, leaving me on my own to continue doing it.

I don't know what came over me or what's gotten into me, but this is exactly what I needed.

I stood in the front, meditating just the way he taught me, as the heat from the sun made sweat form on my forehead. I put my hands together and moved them out slowly, exhaling while I did it. I felt my body relax in a way I didn't think was possible while meditating.

I thought about what I said, what I did, what I was feeling. Then I realized it all grew from just one thing. However... I still wasn't ready to talk about it. But finding the root helped me to realize that these Cobras need a second chance. Or rather, ex-Cobras.

I took one final deep breath in and out, wiped the sweat from my forehead, and walked around to the back yard. Some of the new students were in the dojo talking with Mr. LaRusso, while others were beginning to do the chores I had to do.